Hello,

having a virtual server with ubuntu 8.04 i installed with aptitude mailman
(2.1.9-9u) with postfix, following:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman

As admin, i can sign in new mailinglist-users, but if i mail to:

Mailman-request at example.org (where example.org is my domain)

i get a bounce-mail:

Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

Same thing if i mail to mailman at example.org.
Sure, i didn't create in my domain in postfix a user "mailman-request" or
"mailman", because i thought this is what my installation and configuration
in postfix checks out.

What is wrong?
Does anybody could give me a hint?

Thank you,

: franc

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 8, 2010 at 3:37 pm

    franc walter wrote:
    having a virtual server with ubuntu 8.04 i installed with aptitude mailman
    (2.1.9-9u) with postfix, following:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman

    As admin, i can sign in new mailinglist-users, but if i mail to:

    Mailman-request at example.org (where example.org is my domain)

    i get a bounce-mail:

    Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

    Same thing if i mail to mailman at example.org.
    Sure, i didn't create in my domain in postfix a user "mailman-request" or
    "mailman", because i thought this is what my installation and configuration
    in postfix checks out.

    What is wrong?
    Does anybody could give me a hint?

    You don't create users or mailboxes for Mailman's list addresses. This
    is handled by alias_maps, virtual_alias_domains, and
    virtual_alias_maps in Postfix, or, since this is Debian/Ubuntu,
    possibly by postfix_to_mailman.py.

    If you are following the Postfix section of
    <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman>, you have left something
    out, possibly you didn't add

    lists.example.com mailman:

    to the Postfix transport table, or possibly you are not mailing to the
    lists.example.com domain.

    See the installation Manual at
    <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html> and/or the
    Debian/Ubuntu specic documentation.

    You may also find the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/ZoCj> relevant.

    In order for this list to be of more help, we need more information
    including

    the contents of mm_cfg.py
    the output of postconf -n

    and possibly additional Postfix information such as the contents of or
    at least anything to do with Mailman from master.cf and the Postfix
    transport table.

  • Geoff Shang at Jul 8, 2010 at 5:18 pm

    You don't create users or mailboxes for Mailman's list addresses. This
    is handled by alias_maps, virtual_alias_domains, and
    virtual_alias_maps in Postfix, or, since this is Debian/Ubuntu,
    possibly by postfix_to_mailman.py.
    Having set up Mailman on 3 separate systems, 2 Debian and 1 Ubuntu, I can
    personally recommend not using postfix2mailman. I understand it's not
    recommended, and there really seems to be no reason to use it. The alias
    maps way seems a lot easier to understand in my opinion. I just followed
    the installation manual and did just fine.

    Geoff.
  • Franc walter at Jul 8, 2010 at 5:45 pm

    Am Thu, 8 Jul 2010 20:18:25 +0300 (IDT) schriebst du:

    I can
    personally recommend not using postfix2mailman. I understand it's not
    recommended, and there really seems to be no reason to use it. The alias
    maps way seems a lot easier to understand in my opinion. I just followed
    the installation manual and did just fine.
    I am very confused now. Could you indicate me the doc where you followed the
    installation?
  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 8, 2010 at 6:01 pm

    franc walter wrote:
    I am very confused now. Could you indicate me the doc where you followed the
    installation?

    I think all you need should be at
    <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html> and the first
    subsection 6.1.1.

  • Franc walter at Jul 8, 2010 at 6:06 pm

    Am Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:01:13 -0700 schriebst du:

    I think all you need should be at
    <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html> and the first
    subsection 6.1.1.

    OK, i think i won't use this postfix2mailman and do it like you propose.

    I will tell later if it works, thank you very much till yet!!!

    yours, franc
  • Geoff Shang at Jul 8, 2010 at 6:06 pm