I wonder if there is any simple way to have my Mailman 2.1.13 strings
set to Unicode (UTF-8).

I have seen that the Mailman 3.0 announcements even talk about an end to
the "Unicode story", but as I am no early starter and am glad to finally
have 2.1.13 running fine here, I would like to get some advice what to
do to have the Mailman interfaces in Unicode, finally.

Thank you in advance for your hints,
Ulf Dunkel

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 5, 2010 at 2:45 pm

    Ulf Dunkel wrote:
    I wonder if there is any simple way to have my Mailman 2.1.13 strings
    set to Unicode (UTF-8).

    For English language lists, it should be as simple as putting

    add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'utf-8', 'ltr')

    in mm_cfg.py. This has not been done in the distribution for
    superstitious reasons. Note that the i18n call _('English (USA)')
    that's in Defaults.py has been intentionally omitted above. You don't
    want it in the mm_cfg.py context.

    For another language which is not already utf-8, e.g. German, in
    addition to putting

    add_language('de', 'German', 'utf-8', 'ltr')

    in mm_cfg.py, you also need to transliterate the message catalog and
    templates to from iso-8859-1 to utf-8. I.e. you need to do something
    like

    #!/bin/sh
    cd $prefix
    temp=mktemp
    for file in `ls templates/de` ; do
    iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 -o $temp templates/de/$file
    cp $temp templates/de/$file
    done
    cd messages/de/LC_MESSAGES
    iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 mailman.po | \
    sed '/^"Content-Type:/s/charset=.*\\n/charset=utf-8\\n/ > $temp
    cp $temp mailman.po
    msgfmt -o mailman.mo mailman.po

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython