I have read some pages here and there about adding people via email, but I
can't seem to get it to work.

I am sending emails from my list's admin address (info at example.com) to this
address "listname-request at example.com" with this subject line: "subscribe
address="name at domain.com" but they were getting moderated. I added the
admin address as a member to stop the modding, but when I send the emails
now, nothing happens. They are not in mod queue and the users are not
added.

Shirley I'm missing something important here....

--
Adam

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 30, 2010 at 1:55 pm

    Adam Parker, OD wrote:
    I am sending emails from my list's admin address (info at example.com) to this
    address "listname-request at example.com" with this subject line: "subscribe
    address="name at domain.com" but they were getting moderated.

    Which means that the incoming MTA delivered the message to mailman as a
    "post" and not a "request". If you are sure you are sending to the
    -request address, there is something wrong in the MTA.

    If this is the cPanel installation we have discussed offline and this
    is the list created by 'newlist', then I suspect this is yey another
    cPanel issue in that the Mailman router and transport in cPanel's Exim
    config don't work properly with non-cPanel created lists.

    I added the
    admin address as a member to stop the modding, but when I send the emails
    now, nothing happens. They are not in mod queue and the users are not
    added.

    That's a bit strange. If they were held before as non-member posts,
    they should now be either held as "administrivia" or posted to the
    list depending on the lists administrivia setting.

    Shirley I'm missing something important here....

    "Don't call me Shirley"

    (Leslie Nielsen line in Airplane! - #79 at
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years..._100_Movie_Quotes>.

  • Adam Parker, OD at Jun 30, 2010 at 2:11 pm
    could be a cpanel issue, but I'm not sure. I broke down and moved my site
    to the server that allows Mailman so I'm not doing anything funny with MX
    records on this list. My list name is "list" and I am sending emails to "
    list-request at domain.org" with the subject "subscribe address=
    email at domain.com" <- I put that into the body as well just to be sure. They
    just disappear. I have it set to confirm and approve, but I do not see any
    emails coming to either the subscriber's address or admin address. good
    catch on the airplane reference

    -Adam
[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 30, 2010 at 2:40 pm

    Adam Parker, OD wrote:
    could be a cpanel issue, but I'm not sure. I broke down and moved my site
    to the server that allows Mailman so I'm not doing anything funny with MX
    records on this list. My list name is "list" and I am sending emails to "
    list-request at domain.org" with the subject "subscribe address=
    email at domain.com" <- I put that into the body as well just to be sure.

    That will result in two subscribe requests.

    They
    just disappear. I have it set to confirm and approve, but I do not see any
    emails coming to either the subscriber's address or admin address.

    Send an email without any commands, e.g. with

    Subject: this is a test email

    and a few lines in the body, not commands, to the list-request address.
    You should receive a "results of your email commands" message back to
    the address you send from. Do you? If not, there is some issue with
    mail to the -request address.

  • Adam Parker, OD at Jun 30, 2010 at 2:55 pm
    I did get this back from list-bounces:

    The results of your email command are provided below. Attached is your
    could be a cpanel issue, but I'm not sure. I broke down and moved my site
    to the server that allows Mailman so I'm not doing anything funny with MX
    records on this list. My list name is "list" and I am sending emails to "
    list-request at domain.org" with the subject "subscribe address=
    email at domain.com" <- I put that into the body as well just to be sure.

    That will result in two subscribe requests.

    They
    just disappear. I have it set to confirm and approve, but I do not see any
    emails coming to either the subscriber's address or admin address.

    Send an email without any commands, e.g. with

    and a few lines in the body, not commands, to the list-request address.
    You should receive a "results of your email commands" message back to
    the address you send from. Do you? If not, there is some issue with
    mail to the -request address.
  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 30, 2010 at 3:09 pm