I am stuck trying to help a friend configure their setup.

Their main domain has email handled by gmail so the mx for
example.compoints to the google mail servers.

They have a dedicated server that has postfix configured to handle mail for
mailinglists.example.com.

Mailman is set to use mailinglists.example.com

The problem I am having is mail from mailman is not making it to
user at example.com.

Is this a mailman issue or a postfix issue?

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 28, 2010 at 4:30 pm

    Cameron Smith wrote:
    The problem I am having is mail from mailman is not making it to
    user at example.com.

    Is this a mailman issue or a postfix issue?

    What does the Postfix log say?

  • Cameron Smith at Jun 28, 2010 at 5:02 pm
    Thanks Julio!
    On an existing mailman list is there a way to see what those aliases should
    be?

    Cameron
    When you create a list, mailman shows a list of aliases
    you have to include in your aliases file and then
    you have to run newaliases to put it in effect.

    Take a watch to you log file.

    Searchable Archives:
    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/jhc%40unt.edu.ar
  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 28, 2010 at 5:25 pm

    Cameron Smith wrote:
    On an existing mailman list is there a way to see what those aliases should
    be?

    If you have the default "MTA = 'Manual'" setting Mailman's
    bin/genaliases will print a list of aliases. for all lists.

    OTOH if you have MailMan/Postfix integration configures with "MTA =
    'Postfix'" the aliases should be automatically maintained in Mailman's
    data/aliases*.

    However, you should be aware that aliases only affect delivery of
    incoming mail to Mailman. They have nothing to do with outgoing mail
    from Mailman.

    See both <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-integration.html>
    and <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>.

  • Terri Oda at Jun 28, 2010 at 7:02 pm
    Is user at example.com actually a gmail address? You may want to read this:

    http://wiki.list.org/x/2IA9

    In short: if user at gmail.com sends a message to the list, then
    user at gmail.com won't get a copy. It's a gmail "feature" that
    complicates things when debugging using gmail addresses.

    Cameron Smith wrote:
    I am stuck trying to help a friend configure their setup.

    Their main domain has email handled by gmail so the mx for
    example.compoints to the google mail servers.

    They have a dedicated server that has postfix configured to handle mail for
    mailinglists.example.com.

    Mailman is set to use mailinglists.example.com

    The problem I am having is mail from mailman is not making it to
    user at example.com.

    Is this a mailman issue or a postfix issue?
  • Ivan Van Laningham at Jun 28, 2010 at 7:26 pm
    Hi All--