I still have a Macintosh 10.3.9 server running the default mailman (version 2.1.4) for mail lists.

We have noticed digests have stopped working, I can send them manually, or if I set the trigger size to 0 they go. If I run the command /usr/bin/python -S /usr/share/mailman/cron/senddigests That also works.

I suspect it has something to do with cron.

I look in the file /usr/share/mailman/cron/crontab.in and it all looks good.

Is there is setting for mailman in the Mac's crontab? as root my crontab is looks good, but I don't see anything that calls mailman's crontab, but then again I am not sure if something is suppose to be in there?

Here is my crontab
# /etc/crontab
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/etc:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
HOME=/var/log
#
#minute hour mday month wday who command
#
#*/5 * * * * root /usr/libexec/atrun
#
# Run daily/weekly/monthly jobs.
15 3 * * * root periodic daily
30 4 * * 6 root periodic weekly
30 5 1 * * root periodic monthly
50 23 * * * root /opt/www/htdig/bin/rundig
05 0 * * * root /mysql_database_backups/mysql_database_script.sh
45 23 * * * root systemsetup -setusingnetworktime off
46 23 * * * root systemsetup -setusingnetworktime on

Thanks

Bob

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 11, 2010 at 1:51 pm

    Bob Bader wrote:
    I still have a Macintosh 10.3.9 server running the default mailman (version 2.1.4) for mail lists.

    We have noticed digests have stopped working, I can send them manually, or if I set the trigger size to 0 they go. If I run the command /usr/bin/python -S /usr/share/mailman/cron/senddigests That also works.

    I suspect it has something to do with cron.

    I look in the file /usr/share/mailman/cron/crontab.in and it all looks good.

    Is there is setting for mailman in the Mac's crontab?

    No. crond normally looks at the system crontab /etc/crontab and all the
    user crontabs in /var/spool/cron/* (or in Mac OS X 10.6 at least,
    /usr/lib/cron/tabs/*). It doesn't look at
    /usr/share/mailman/cron/crontab.in which is the input intended to be
    installed in /usr/lib/cron/tabs/ by a command like

    crontab -u _mailman /usr/share/mailman/cron/crontab.in

    (assuming the Mailman user is _mailman). See 'man crontab' and 'man
    cron'.

    Since Mailman's cron jobs used to run, I suspect the issue is that
    crond is not running on your server. It's either that or Mailman's
    crontab has gone missing. If

    crontab -u_mailman -l

    shows Mailman's crontab, then crond is not running. How to fix that is
    a Mac OS X question.

  • John W. Baxter at Jun 13, 2010 at 4:15 pm

[...]

    On my Mac OS X 10.6.3 system, crond is not running, but cron is. The man
    page for cron makes it look like crond by the shorter name. This is 10.6.3
    client, not server (and I don't run Mailman on it).

    A quick test suggests that cron acts like crond.

    * * * * * /bin/date >> /tmp/dates

    (Which I think I'll turn off now.)

    It produced:
    cat /tmp/dates