Hello,

We have a strange problem with our mailman server and some mailclients.
I will explain. Sometimes when a member sends email to a list, and
someone replies to that mail, the reply goes to the list.

And sometimes the To : adres is listname-bounces at listserver.ourcompany.net

My question is, is there maybe an issue with specific mailclients not
responding correctly to the headers inserted by mailman ?

Our company uses a lot of different mailclients, so i am not yet after
the cause of this. But is it possible that this happens ?

I will hunt for more specific information, but maybe someone could give
me some hints ?

Greetings .. Richard

--
R. (Richard) Smits
TU Delft / Shared Service centre ICT
r.smits at tudelft.nl

Search Discussions

  • Malcolm Austen at Jun 8, 2010 at 1:56 pm

    I will hunt for more specific information, but maybe someone could give
    me some hints ?
    Google will find you the mailman FAQ Richard :-) ... especially if you
    know that the common link between the 'sufferers' is that they all use MS
    LookOut (or related MS clients) :-( ...

    Unless there's another client that plays this game?

    = Malcolm.

    --
    Malcolm Austen, Oxfordshire, England
  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 8, 2010 at 3:11 pm

    And sometimes the To : adres is listname-bounces at listserver.ourcompany.net

    My question is, is there maybe an issue with specific mailclients not
    responding correctly to the headers inserted by mailman ?

    Yes. The Sender: header contains the list-bounces address and some MUAs
    may reply to the Sender: in preference even to Reply-To: or may
    include the Sender: in a 'reply all'.

    See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/RoA9>.

  • Barry Finkel at Jun 8, 2010 at 6:47 pm

    And sometimes the To : adres is listname-bounces at listserver.ourcompany.net

    My question is, is there maybe an issue with specific mailclients not
    responding correctly to the headers inserted by mailman ?

    Our company uses a lot of different mailclients, so i am not yet after
    the cause of this. But is it possible that this happens ?

    I will hunt for more specific information, but maybe someone could give
    me some hints ?
    I have seen the problem when someone on a BlackBerry does a
    have not yet gotten a reply. The other times that I have seen it,
    I have contacted the sender. When I get a reply, I learn that the
    sender saw the address and manually used it as a reply address.
    Obviously, when I don't get a reply, I have no idea how the -bounces
    address got into the mail headers.
    Barry S. Finkel
    Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
    9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
    Building 240, Room 5.B.8 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
    Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJun 7, '10 at 12:02p
activeJun 8, '10 at 6:47p