Hey There,

We are using mailman to support a 5,000 person distribution list. The
majority of our interactions with users is by email between the users and
the mailman software - humans do not get involved. The way our software is
configured, the users see the following sequence to subscribe to our email
list:

1. Web form is filled out to subscribe by user

2. Sever generates an email to the user to confirm the subscription
request

3. User replies to the subscription confirmation to the server -
typically hitting "Reply" and then "Send"

4. The user receives a "Welcome" to the mailing list email

Our users are seeing a delay of 15 minutes between step 3 and step 4 above.
Many times this delay is too much for our users to handle or confusing.
This is especially the case when the time between step 1 and step 2 above is
generally less than one minute. This delay between steps 3 and 4 many times
results in the user sending an email to our webmaster - instead of waiting
out the 15 minute delay.

Is it possible for the timing between step 3 and step 4 to be decreased? We
have plenty of available server capacity available if this is a concern for
some reason.

Thanks, Greg

Search Discussions

  • Larry Stone at May 25, 2010 at 1:42 pm

[...]

    That does not sound like a Mailman issue but rather a mail delivery issue
    to your mail server. Is the mail server doing greylisting? That would
    cause the confirmation email to initially be deferred by the receiving
    mail server, then accepted the next time the sending server attempts to
    send it. How long until the next attempt to send is controlled by the
    sending server so I doubt they're all exactly 15 minutes.

    If it's not that, you will need to look at your logs (both mailman and the
    mail server) to figure out where the delay is being introduced.

    -- Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
  • Steff Watkins at May 25, 2010 at 2:15 pm

    1. Web form is filled out to subscribe by user

    2. Sever generates an email to the user to confirm the
    subscription
    request

    3. User replies to the subscription confirmation to the server -
    typically hitting "Reply" and then "Send"

    4. The user receives a "Welcome" to the mailing list email
    Is it possible for the timing between step 3 and step 4 to be
    decreased? We have plenty of available server capacity
    available if this is a concern for some reason.
    Hi,

    I initially thought that this might be due to one of the mailman
    cronjobs but looking through the crontab made me realise that that
    probably wasn't so.

    Have you got a complete copy of one of these "delayed/deferred" emails?
    If so, have you had a look at the mail envelope/headers to see where the
    email is actually being delayed?

    It does sound like something may be deferring the outbound emails. Are
    they sent from the same email user as is listed on the emails generated
    by the web form submissions? Without the headers from one of the delayed
    emails determinign which part of the delivery process needs
    tweaking/kicking is going to be difficult.

    Regards,
    Steff
    ---------------
    Steff Watkins Natural History Museum, Cromwell
    Road, London, SW7 5BD
    Systems programmer Email: s.watkins at nhm.ac.uk
    Systems Team Phone: +44 (0)20 7942 6000 opt 2
    ========
    Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake
    in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that
    even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have
    left the oceans. - HHGTTG

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 25, '10 at 3:22a