Hello,

is there any tool or script to remove the moderator passwords from all
mailing lists? I've lost the plot on which lists have a moderation
password and which don't, so I'd love to reset all of them.

Thanks,
Florian

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 22, 2010 at 2:09 pm

    Florian Effenberger wrote:
    is there any tool or script to remove the moderator passwords from all
    mailing lists? I've lost the plot on which lists have a moderation
    password and which don't, so I'd love to reset all of them.

    See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/MIBp>. The input you want is

    mod_password = None

  • Florian Effenberger at May 25, 2010 at 2:36 pm
    Hi Mark,

    is there any tool or script to remove the moderator passwords from all
    password and which don't, so I'd love to reset all of them.
    See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/MIBp>. The input you want is

    mod_password = None
    thanks a lot! Can the normal list administration password also be
    changed via that way, and if so, which parameter do I need to use?
    password = (without mod)?

    Thanks!
    Florian
  • Mark Sapiro at May 25, 2010 at 3:18 pm

    Florian Effenberger wrote:
    is there any tool or script to remove the moderator passwords from all
    mailing lists? I've lost the plot on which lists have a moderation
    password and which don't, so I'd love to reset all of them.
    See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/MIBp>. The input you want is

    mod_password = None
    thanks a lot! Can the normal list administration password also be
    changed via that way, and if so, which parameter do I need to use?
    password = (without mod)?

    To set the list admin password you can use

    password = 'value'

    but value is a sha digest of the plain text password. In order to set
    the plain text password, you would need the input to config_list to be
    something like

    from Mailman.Utils import sha_new
    password = sha_new('new_password').hexdigest()

    but this will only work with Mailman 2.1.12 and later. For older
    mailman, this needs to be

    import sha
    password = sha.new('new_password').hexdigest()

    but this will issue a deprecation warning with Python 2.6.x, but it
    will work.

    Or, you could just generate the sha digest of the plain text password
    separately and set that value.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 22, '10 at 1:17p