Hey geniuses,

In the beginning I was initially told that a shortcut moethod of getting
mailman to work with a domain was to just remove the domains mx records.
This has worked. My question is, how can I make it so my domain can still
have email working on the domain, as well as mailman? As of now, mailman is
all the domain is used for. Probably a dumb question, but how should I
setup my domains mx records so that the hosting company email still
functions with the domain, and mailman can also use the domain?

Thanks,
-Tyler

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 6, 2010 at 1:28 am

    Ty Nelson wrote:
    In the beginning I was initially told that a shortcut moethod of getting
    mailman to work with a domain was to just remove the domains mx records.
    This has worked. My question is, how can I make it so my domain can still
    have email working on the domain, as well as mailman? As of now, mailman is
    all the domain is used for. Probably a dumb question, but how should I
    setup my domains mx records so that the hosting company email still
    functions with the domain, and mailman can also use the domain?

    I assume the Mailman server is not the same as the hosting company's
    mail server. In that case, you have two choices. You can leave your
    domain with no MX and only an A record (or an MX that points to the
    domain) and teach your MTA to relay non-Mailman-list mail to the
    hosting company's server, or you can set your domain's MX to point to
    the hosting company server and teach it to relay all Mailman list mail
    to your server.

  • Ty Nelson at May 6, 2010 at 1:34 am
    Perfect! Thanks for letting me know those two options. I think my last
    question is how can I teach my MTA to relay non-Mailman-list mail to the
    hosting company's server? Is that something that is simple or should I
    contact the hosting company to inquire about that?

    Thanks again Mark!
    -Tyler
[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at May 6, 2010 at 1:58 am
    Ty Nelson wrote
    Perfect! Thanks for letting me know those two options. I think my last
    question is how can I teach my MTA to relay non-Mailman-list mail to the
    hosting company's server? Is that something that is simple or should I
    contact the hosting company to inquire about that?

    The answer to that depends at least in part on your MTA. Ideally you
    would arrange for the MTA to just relay the non-list mail to the
    hosting company's MX without altering the envelope recipient. It is
    likely that the host's MX won't know how to deliver the mail if you
    alter the envelope recipient. How you do this depends on your MTA.
    What is it? We may be able to help if we know that, but really it's a
    question for a list devoted to your MTA.

    Otherwise, you could just alias user at your.domain to
    user at host.mx.domain, but the host's MX probably won't know how to
    deliver that.

  • Ty Nelson at May 6, 2010 at 2:04 am
    Hmm.

    GoDaddy is the main one. Another is 1&1. I'll look into it there though, and
    thanks so much.

    Best,
    -Tyler
    Perfect! Thanks for letting me know those two options. I think my last
    question is how can I teach my MTA to relay non-Mailman-list mail to the
    hosting company's server? Is that something that is simple or should I
    contact the hosting company to inquire about that?

    The answer to that depends at least in part on your MTA. Ideally you
    would arrange for the MTA to just relay the non-list mail to the
    hosting company's MX without altering the envelope recipient. It is
    likely that the host's MX won't know how to deliver the mail if you
    alter the envelope recipient. How you do this depends on your MTA.
    What is it? We may be able to help if we know that, but really it's a
    question for a list devoted to your MTA.

    Otherwise, you could just alias user at your.domain to
    user at host.mx.domain, but the host's MX probably won't know how to
    deliver that.

  • Mark Sapiro at May 6, 2010 at 2:29 am

    Whan I said:
    How you do this depends on your MTA.
    What is it? We may be able to help if we know that, but really it's a
    question for a list devoted to your MTA.

    I was asking about the Mail Transport Agent (e.g., Exim, sendmail,
    Postfix, Qmail, ???) that runs on your Mailman host and delivers Mail
    to Mailman.

  • Ty Nelson at May 6, 2010 at 2:30 am
    Lord. Sorry. Duh. Postfix is what I use. Sorry, long day
    :)

    Whan I said:
    How you do this depends on your MTA.
    What is it? We may be able to help if we kn...
    I was asking about the Mail Transport Agent (e.g., Exim, sendmail,
    Postfix, Qmail, ???) that runs on your Mailman host and delivers Mail
    to Mailman.

    San Francisco Bay Area, Californi...
  • Mark Sapiro at May 10, 2010 at 7:36 pm

    Ty Nelson wrote:
    Lord. Sorry. Duh. Postfix is what I use. Sorry, long day
    :)

    I don't know off hand how to to what you want in Postfix and no one
    else has jumped in, so I suggest you ask the question on a Postfix
    list. The question is:

    Mailman generates alias_maps for delivering it's list mail to
    appropriate pipe commands and can if necessary generate
    virtual_alias_maps to map 'list at example.com' to the local address
    'list' which is in alias_maps.

    How do I configure Postfix to accept and deliver this Mailman list mail
    as it is currently doing via alias_maps and at the same time, relay
    mail for other (non-mailman) example.com addresses to an external MX?

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 5, '10 at 10:55p
activeMay 10, '10 at 7:36p