The second question I have is about the DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST setting...

Currently, people send to my lists using listname at example.com and
everything is working fine. But, while prepping for this change I found
this commented section from someone's mm_cfg.py (these comments aren't
in mine for some reason):

# For example, if people visit your Mailman system with
# "http://www.dom.ain/mailman" then your url fqdn is "www.dom.ain",
# and if people send mail to your system via "yourlist at dom.ain" then
# your email fqdn is "dom.ain". DEFAULT_URL_HOST controls the former,
# and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST controls the latter.

According to this, my DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST should just be 'example.com',
but it isn't, it is myhost.example.com - so why is mine working ok?

Thanks,

Charles

******************* My current and proposed new settings:

Defaults.py currently contains
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'myhost.example.com'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'myhost.example.com'
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
And my current/recently edited mm_cfg.py - the commented settings/lines
below are the changes I've added, in preparation for the change, and
will just comment/uncomment the relevant ones to 'flip the switch':
# Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.
MTA = 'Postfix'
#DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'example.com'
#DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.example.com'
#add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
#VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
#POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.example.com']
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['myhost.example.com']
ALLOW_SITE_ADMIN_COOKIES = Yes

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 2, 2010 at 9:03 pm

    The second question I have is about the DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST setting...

    Currently, people send to my lists using listname at example.com and
    everything is working fine. But, while prepping for this change I found
    this commented section from someone's mm_cfg.py (these comments aren't
    in mine for some reason):

    # For example, if people visit your Mailman system with
    # "http://www.dom.ain/mailman" then your url fqdn is "www.dom.ain",
    # and if people send mail to your system via "yourlist at dom.ain" then
    # your email fqdn is "dom.ain". DEFAULT_URL_HOST controls the former,
    # and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST controls the latter.

    The comments are in some downstream package. They aren't in the default
    GNU Mailman distribution.

    According to this, my DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST should just be 'example.com',
    but it isn't, it is myhost.example.com - so why is mine working ok?

    If you go to the list's listinfo page, what does it say the list posting
    address is? If it says listname at example.com, then either you had
    different settings when you created the list, or you changed the list's
    host_name attribute on the General Options admin page from
    myhost.example.com to example.com.

    then all the email addresses Mailman generates for this list are
    @myhost.example.com. Now they probably work because
    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['myhost.example.com']
    says generate virtual alias maps for Postfix for any list that has
    host_name myhost.example.com, so if Postfix is configured to use
    Mailman's data/virtual-mailman, mail sent to list addresses
    @myhost.example.com will be properly delivered.

    Note that all DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST does is set the default host_name
    attribute for new lists. Once a list is created, it has no effect.

  • Tanstaafl at May 2, 2010 at 9:47 pm

    If you go to the list's listinfo page, what does it say the list posting
    address is? If it says listname at example.com, then either you had
    different settings when you created the list, or you changed the list's
    host_name attribute on the General Options admin page from
    myhost.example.com to example.com.
    The list posting address is set to:

    listname at myhost.example.com

    The host name (in the web options interface) is set to:

    myhost.example.com
    On the other hand, if the listinfo page says listname at myhost.example.com
    then all the email addresses Mailman generates for this list are
    @myhost.example.com. Now they probably work because
    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['myhost.example.com']
    says generate virtual alias maps for Postfix for any list that has
    host_name myhost.example.com, so if Postfix is configured to use
    Mailman's data/virtual-mailman, mail sent to list addresses
    @myhost.example.com will be properly delivered.

    Note that all DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST does is set the default host_name
    attribute for new lists. Once a list is created, it has no effect.
    Ok... so, apparently this is slightly broken, but working...?

    I would strongly prefer to fix this properly.

    Thanks for your help Mark, your courtesy and expertise never cease to
    amaze...

    --

    Charles

groupmailman-users @