Is it possible to implement umbrella lists Mailman 2.1.9?

Do I need to run some patch?

I have postfix-2.3.3, mailman 2.1.9, RHEL 5.3

bye.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 29, 2010 at 4:39 pm

    Esteban Torres Rodriguez wrote:
    Is it possible to implement umbrella lists Mailman 2.1.9?

    Mailman's umbrella list feature, warts and all, is available in Mailman
    2.1.9. Search the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/AgA3> for "umbrella"
    for more information.

    Do I need to run some patch?

    No.

  • Esteban Torres Rodriguez at Apr 30, 2010 at 5:55 am

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Esteban Torres Rodriguez wrote:

    Is it possible to implement umbrella lists Mailman 2.1.9?

    Mailman's umbrella list feature, warts and all, is available in Mailman
    2.1.9. Search the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/AgA3> for "umbrella"
    for more information.

    Do I need to run some patch?

    No.
    "warts and all"

    What do you mean? I have read the FAQ, but not what you mean.
  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 30, 2010 at 2:23 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    "warts and all"

    What do you mean? I have read the FAQ, but not what you mean.

    Quoting from dictionary.com

    wart
    [...]
    3.
    any unattractive detrimental feature or aspect: /The biography presents
    the full story of the prime minister's political career, warts and
    all/.

    In this case, the unattractiveness is if a list is set as an umbrella
    with other lists as members, and there are people who are members of
    multiple sub-lists, they will receive duplicates of posts to the
    umbrella, one for each sub-list of which they are a member.

    Also, if you set a list to be an umbrella (General Options ->
    umbrella_list = Yes), the only thing that does is assume that all
    members of that list are other lists so that administrative notices
    such as password reminders from that list for a member whose address
    is sublist at example.com will be sent to sublist-owner at example.com so
    there can be issues with lists which have both individuals and other
    lists as members.

    That is what I meant by "warts and all".

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 29, '10 at 9:42a
activeApr 30, '10 at 2:23p