I'm running mailman 2.1.13 on Ubuntu 9.10 out of the Ubuntu
repositories. Mail server is postfix and I also have Apache and
spamassassin on the same box, again all from the ubuntu repositories.

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed that a number of legitimate
e-mails have failed to be delivered. All of these have been shunted and
an error like the one repeated below is written to the error log.

I've been through the mailman FAQ, the launchpad documentation and bugs
for the ubuntu maintained package and googled a bit. I'm none the wiser
about how to fix this problem.

2558 is the pid of the incoming runner,

Apr 17 21:22:28 2010 (2558) Uncaught runner exception: [Errno 104]
Connection reset by peer
Apr 17 21:22:28 2010 (2558) Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 120, in _oneloop
self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 191, in _onefile
keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 130, in
_dispose
more = self._dopipeline(mlist, msg, msgdata, pipeline)
File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 153, in
_dopipeline
sys.modules[modname].process(mlist, msg, msgdata)
File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SpamAssassin.py", line 76, in
process
score, symbols = check_message(mlist, str(msg))
File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SpamAssassin.py", line 62, in
check_message
res = connection.check(spamd.SYMBOLS, message)
File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/spamd.py", line 122, in check
response = fp.readline()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/socket.py", line 406, in readline
data = self._sock.recv(self._rbufsize)
error: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer

Apr 17 21:22:28 2010 (2558) SHUNTING:
1271535747.4608049+d7d9c4e9e3ba323d632e260659b522bcbd48eacd

believed to be clean.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm

    James Kemp wrote:
[...]

    It appears that you (or someone) has installed the
    Spamassassin.py/spamd.py custom handler from
    <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/557991> and included it in
    the GLOBAL_PIPELINE or a lists' pipeline.

    The "Connection reset by peer" error is occurring while spamd.py is
    waiting for a response from the spamd daemon.

    I suspect this is occurring because of a time out. Prior to SA 3.3,
    there was no limit on how long spamd could take to process a message.
    If there were DNS issues with RBL lookups for example, there could be
    very long delays. SA 3.3 has introduced a 300 second time limit, after
    which it just returns what it found plus a hit on the
    TIME_LIMIT_EXCEEDED rule. See
    <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.3/build/announcements/3.3.0.txt>.

    If you have SA 3.3, you could configure a shorter time_limit and see if
    that helps.

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 18, 2010 at 12:43 am

    Mark Sapiro wrote:

    It appears that you (or someone) has installed the
    Spamassassin.py/spamd.py custom handler from
    <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/557991> and included it in
    the GLOBAL_PIPELINE or a lists' pipeline.
    Actually, on closer inspection, I think the most current
    Spamassassin.py/spamd.py code is at
    <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/266588>.

    I have added a patch to spamd in comment # 23 of the report which I
    think will prevent shunting of the message when this exception occurs,
    and just log a one-line error log entry instead.

  • James Kemp at Apr 18, 2010 at 9:26 pm

    It appears that you (or someone) has installed the
    Spamassassin.py/spamd.py custom handler from
    <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/557991> and included it in
    the GLOBAL_PIPELINE or a lists' pipeline.
    Actually, on closer inspection, I think the most current
    Spamassassin.py/spamd.py code is at
    <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/266588>.

    I have added a patch to spamd in comment # 23 of the report which I
    think will prevent shunting of the message when this exception occurs,
    and just log a one-line error log entry instead.
    Thanks for the help, especially on a Saturday evening!

    Patch sorted it all out, getting one line logs for the spamassassin
    timeouts, but at least the legit messages are getting delivered.

    --
    James Kemp

    my games at http://www.full-moon.info/

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 17, '10 at 9:23p
activeApr 18, '10 at 9:26p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

James Kemp: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts