I've been using Mailman for a long time for several small lists that I
maintain. There are two configuration issues that I still do not
understand. First, messages sent to participants have the footer as an
attachment. The only way I could get rid of the attachment was to delete
the footer text. The messages on this list have the footer, and it is
not showing up as an attachment, so I am doing something wrong.

The other question has to do with bounce processing. When I load a new
list of email addresses, how can I check for bad ones other than wait
until there are enough bounces within a period of time to unsubscribe?
It would be very helpful to be able to designate an email address to
which ALL bounces are sent. Can that be done?

Thanks!

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 12, 2010 at 4:01 pm

    Zone Page wrote:
    I've been using Mailman for a long time for several small lists that I
    maintain. There are two configuration issues that I still do not
    understand. First, messages sent to participants have the footer as an
    attachment. The only way I could get rid of the attachment was to delete
    the footer text. The messages on this list have the footer, and it is
    not showing up as an attachment, so I am doing something wrong.

    See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/84A9>

    The footers are not (usually) separate MIME parts on this list because
    people tend to post plain text, and this list uses Mailman's content
    filtering to remove non plain text parts from posts so the footers can
    be added to the simple plain text message body.

    The other question has to do with bounce processing. When I load a new
    list of email addresses, how can I check for bad ones other than wait
    until there are enough bounces within a period of time to unsubscribe?
    It would be very helpful to be able to designate an email address to
    which ALL bounces are sent. Can that be done?

    When you "load a new list of email addresses", invite the list rather
    than subscribing it. Problem solved.

    There already is an address to which all bounces are sent. It is
    LISTNAME-bounces at ... If you have control over the MTA that delivers
    this mail, you can deliver it anywhere you want. You can also set the
    bounce processing threshold score to 1 to disable delivery and notify
    the admin upon the first bounce.

  • Zone Page at Mar 12, 2010 at 5:34 pm

    I've been using Mailman for a long time for several small lists that I
    maintain. There are two configuration issues that I still do not
    understand. First, messages sent to participants have the footer as an
    attachment. The only way I could get rid of the attachment was to delete
    the footer text. The messages on this list have the footer, and it is
    not showing up as an attachment, so I am doing something wrong.
    See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/84A9>
    I already read that article, but it's over my head.
    The footers are not (usually) separate MIME parts on this list because
    people tend to post plain text, and this list uses Mailman's content
    filtering to remove non plain text parts from posts so the footers can
    be added to the simple plain text message body.
    Is that Option 2?
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 12, 2010 at 6:07 pm

    Zone Page wrote:
    The footers are not (usually) separate MIME parts on this list because
    people tend to post plain text, and this list uses Mailman's content
    filtering to remove non plain text parts from posts so the footers can
    be added to the simple plain text message body.
    Is that Option 2?

    Yes, that's option 2.

    Note, if your list is an announcement type of list, and you want to
    post HTML (rich text), you can always remove the list's msg_footer and
    just include the equivalent at the bottom of your posts.

  • Zone Page at Mar 12, 2010 at 7:14 pm

    The footers are not (usually) separate MIME parts on this list because
    people tend to post plain text, and this list uses Mailman's content
    filtering to remove non plain text parts from posts so the footers can
    be added to the simple plain text message body.
    Is that Option 2?
    Yes, that's option 2.

    Note, if your list is an announcement type of list, and you want to
    post HTML (rich text), you can always remove the list's msg_footer and
    just include the equivalent at the bottom of your posts.
    The page says, "Choosing option #2 from the above list is quite a bit
    more difficult to configure than you may think it is. Even if you can
    get the system to do this, the result would most likely be quite a bit
    more drastic than you think." So, how do I configure my list this way?
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 12, 2010 at 7:51 pm

    Zone Page wrote:
    The page says, "Choosing option #2 from the above list is quite a bit
    more difficult to configure than you may think it is. Even if you can
    get the system to do this, the result would most likely be quite a bit
    more drastic than you think." So, how do I configure my list this way?
    Here's one suggestion.

    filter_content: Yes

    filter_mime_types: empty

    pass_mime_types:
    multipart
    message/rfc822
    text/plain
    text/html

    filter_filename_extensions: default (it doesn't matter much with the
    above in pass_mime_types)

    pass_filename_extensions: empty

    collapse_alternatives: Yes

    convert_html_to_plaintext: Yes

    This will ensure only plain text is delivered to the list and will
    accept essentially all text/plain parts of a message and in addition
    will accept HTML that is not a multipart/alternative sub-part and use
    an external command (defaults to lynx) to convert the HTML to plain
    text.

    It will break or remove signatures from some signed mail.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 12, '10 at 1:17p
activeMar 12, '10 at 7:51p