Hello, Mailman experts!

We have a mystery going on here at Westmont College... the admin for one of
our lists rejected a message sent by a student, and when the student replied
in some way to the rejection notice, the message that was being held got
sent out.

This has happened twice now (with the same list) and I can't figure out how
it could happen.

Can anyone think of how this may have happened, and what I can do to make
sure it doesn't happen again?

We are running 2.1.9 on Linux SLES 10.

Thanks!

Anne
--
Anne Anderson
Web Application Developer / Database Manager

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 9, 2010 at 9:00 pm

    Anne Anderson wrote:
    We have a mystery going on here at Westmont College... the admin for one of
    our lists rejected a message sent by a student, and when the student replied
    in some way to the rejection notice, the message that was being held got
    sent out.

    This has happened twice now (with the same list) and I can't figure out how
    it could happen.

    Can anyone think of how this may have happened, and what I can do to make
    sure it doesn't happen again?

    First, check Mailman's vette log to see what it says about these
    messages. Is the Message-ID of the held message the same as the
    message ultimately sent to the list? Does the log show the reject?

    Second, assuming the list has archives, find the messages in the
    archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox and see if the envelope
    sender (the address in the From separator at the start of the message
    headers) spoofs an authorized poster.

    Note that if the original message was actually rejected by the admin,
    that message is gone and can't be later delivered to the list. This
    doesn't mean it couldn't be reposted, just that the actual message
    that was rejected couldn't have also been delivered to the list.

    Also, is it possible the admin is confused? I.e., the post was rejected
    and the student replied to the rejection, which reply was delivered to
    listname-owner, and the admin only thinks it went to the whole list.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 9, '10 at 6:39p
activeMar 9, '10 at 9:00p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Anne Anderson: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post