J.R. Constance wrote:
I was surprised at these unsubscribes because it has been almost 4 weeks since any messages have gone out to this list, and I had removed any queued mail from the queue server several weeks ago.

The bouncing member's delivery is disabled by bounce processing and if
requested a notice of the disable with the triggering bounce attached
is sent to the list owner. From that point forward, the process is
totally controlled by cron/disabled. Posts or the lack thereof are
irrelevant. If the member's delivery is not re-enabled manually by the
member or a list admin, the member will be unsubscribed after
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings times
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval days (default 21).

Thus, when a member is unsubscribed by bounce processing this normally
occurs weeks after the member's delivery was disabled.

  • J.R. Constance at Mar 1, 2010 at 5:24 pm
    Thanks Mark.

    As I looked back through the Bounce log I can see the history for what you describe below; multiple bounce notifications, account disabled after ~2 weeks, then account unsubscribed after another two weeks.

    Is there another log that would show the response(s) from yahoo.com, either a deferral or rejection?
    I was surprised at these unsubscribes because it has been almost 4 weeks since any messages have gone out to this list, and I had removed any queued mail from the queue server several weeks ago.

    The bouncing member's delivery is disabled by bounce processing and if
    requested a notice of the disable with the triggering bounce attached
    is sent to the list owner. From that point forward, the process is
    totally controlled by cron/disabled. Posts or the lack thereof are
    irrelevant. If the member's delivery is not re-enabled manually by the
    member or a list admin, the member will be unsubscribed after
    bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings times
    bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval days (default 21).

    Thus, when a member is unsubscribed by bounce processing this normally
    occurs weeks after the member's delivery was disabled.

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 1, 2010 at 5:52 pm

    J.R. Constance wrote:
    As I looked back through the Bounce log I can see the history for what you describe below; multiple bounce notifications, account disabled after ~2 weeks, then account unsubscribed after another two weeks.

    Is there another log that would show the response(s) from yahoo.com, either a deferral or rejection?

    Your MTA's logs will have some information. Note that the actual bounce
    delivered to Mailman may have occurred up to 15 minutes prior to the
    entry in Mailman's bounce log because Mailman queues bounces and
    processes them in batches.

    Also, you will probably find in your MTA logs that there was some
    delivery attempted to Yahoo which was rejected by Yahoo with a reason
    shown in the log and this was followed by your MTA sending a DSN to
    the listname-bounces address. In this case, you have Yahoo's response
    in your MTA's log.

    You may find however that the DSN sent to the listname-bounces address
    came from Yahoo. In this case, the only way to know the reason is to
    see the actual DSN which is not logged anywhere. If the list's
    bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is Yes, it was sent to the list
    owner(s) when the disable occurred, but it isn't logged.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 1, '10 at 5:08p
activeMar 1, '10 at 5:52p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 2 posts J.R. Constance: 1 post