Hello,

Have successfully set up a Debian server and installed and configured
Postfix and have been trying to integrate Mailman. I am receiving the
following errors during the apt-get install mailman process:

Warning: I/O Error While Trying To Byte-Compile
/usr/lib/mailman/bin/qmail-to-mailman.py (2): No such file or directory

Warning: I/O Error While Trying To Byte-Compile
/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py (2): No such file or
directory

Again, this is happening during install and it seems like the install is
failing or not completing properly. I have tried uninstalling and
reinstalling but continue to receive the same I/O errors. Can anyone
assist?

Thanks,

ClayB

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 23, 2010 at 5:15 pm

    Beyer, Clay wrote:
    Have successfully set up a Debian server and installed and configured
    Postfix and have been trying to integrate Mailman. I am receiving the
    following errors during the apt-get install mailman process:

    Warning: I/O Error While Trying To Byte-Compile
    /usr/lib/mailman/bin/qmail-to-mailman.py (2): No such file or directory

    Warning: I/O Error While Trying To Byte-Compile
    /usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py (2): No such file or
    directory

    You clearly don't need qmail-to-mailman.py, and while Debian seems to
    like postfix-to-mailman.py (which is not distributed even as
    contributed source by the GNU Mailman project), I don't recommend it.

    Again, this is happening during install and it seems like the install is
    failing or not completing properly. I have tried uninstalling and
    reinstalling but continue to receive the same I/O errors. Can anyone
    assist?

    This is a Debian packaging issue. If you wish to install Debian's
    Mailman package, you'll have to take this up with Debian.

    If you download and install the 2.1.13 tarball from
    <https://launchpad.net/mailman/2.1/2.1.13> or
    <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mailman/>, it will be less convenient, but we
    can help you with any installation issues.

  • Beyer, Clay at Feb 23, 2010 at 5:48 pm

    Beyer, Clay wrote:

[...]

    How would I go about completely removing the current, albeit, partial
    install of mailman? Is there a way to do any kind of complete removal
    other than just searching and deleting (after an apt-get remove)? I am a
    bit of a Linux beginner, so I am not entirely sure how the tarball
    installations works, but I am betting that is simpler to figure out and
    will ask if I need any assistance.
    If you download and install the 2.1.13 tarball from
    <https://launchpad.net/mailman/2.1/2.1.13> or
    <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mailman/>, it will be less convenient, but we
    can help you with any installation issues.
  • Andrew Hodgson at Feb 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm

    Beyer, Clay Wrote:
    Mark Sapiro Wrote:
    [...]
    This is a Debian packaging issue. If you wish to install Debian's
    Mailman package, you'll have to take this up with Debian.
    How would I go about completely removing the current, albeit, partial
    install of mailman? Is there a way to do any kind of complete removal
    other than just searching and deleting (after an apt-get remove)? I am a
    bit of a Linux beginner, so I am not entirely sure how the tarball
    installations works, but I am betting that is simpler to figure out and
    will ask if I need any assistance.
    apt-get purge mailman, then delete files in /var/lib/mailman, /etc/mailman, /usr/lib/mailman, /usr/share/mailman and /usr/share/doc/mailman (I think that is it). Purge should do all this for you (especially if you haven't touched any list config).

    On the other hand, that is a strange error you got, and suggests you may have another underlying issue. If you haven't got anything else on the box, you may just want to reinstall with the latest Lenny minimal server install and work upwards.

    Using the Tarball is easy enough, though I always use the Debian package because I never have any issues with it.

    Thanks.
    Andrew.
  • Beyer, Clay at Feb 23, 2010 at 7:31 pm

    Beyer, Clay Wrote:
    Mark Sapiro Wrote:
    [...]
[...]

    Apt-get remove worked as well as find -name... I was able to remove
    everything associated with mailman and use apt-get install mailman,
    which on this occasion, worked like a charm.

    I am currently experiencing a hiccup at, documentation 6.1.1
    (http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node13.html). I am
    not understanding the aliases/aliases.db instructions. I, seemingly,
    successfully ran /usr/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases but now, cannot seem to
    find any data/aliases file or directory.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    ClayB
  • Beyer, Clay at Feb 23, 2010 at 7:34 pm
    Disregard that last email... I wasn't looking in the appropriate
    directory. Sorry

    Beyer, Clay Wrote:
    Mark Sapiro Wrote:
    [...]
[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm

    Beyer, Clay wrote:
    How would I go about completely removing the current, albeit, partial
    install of mailman? Is there a way to do any kind of complete removal
    other than just searching and deleting (after an apt-get remove)?

    You could do

    find / -name mailman

    That should find any directories left.

    I am a
    bit of a Linux beginner, so I am not entirely sure how the tarball
    installations works, but I am betting that is simpler to figure out and
    will ask if I need any assistance.

    The installation manual is in the tarball, but it is also at
    <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/index.html> if you want to read
    it first.

  • Beyer, Clay at Feb 23, 2010 at 9:35 pm
    Below, you suggested not to use postfix-to-mailman.py.

    What should I use if not this? My postfix master.cf file contains the
    mailman MTA lines toward the bottom...

    Mailman unix n n 2 pipe
    Flags=FR user=list
    argv=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py
    ${nexthop} ${user}

    This seems to be making the server go crazy, tons of processes running
    at once, bogging down the server. Commenting these lines out returns the
    server to normal operation, but then in my mail.info log file, I have
    tons of Mail Transport Agent not found.

    Please help.

    ClayB

    Beyer, Clay wrote:
[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 23, 2010 at 10:02 pm

    Beyer, Clay wrote:
    What should I use if not this? My postfix master.cf file contains the
    mailman MTA lines toward the bottom...

    Mailman unix n n 2 pipe
    Flags=FR user=list
    argv=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py
    ${nexthop} ${user}

    This seems to be making the server go crazy, tons of processes running
    at once, bogging down the server. Commenting these lines out returns the
    server to normal operation, but then in my mail.info log file, I have
    tons of Mail Transport Agent not found.

    You seem to have some kind of mail loop creating all these
    messages/references.

    That notwithstanding, You need to either remove transport_maps from
    Postfix's main.cf or if there are non-mailman transports referenced in
    /etc/postfix/transport or whatever transport_maps references, remove
    the mailman transport entry.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 23, '10 at 4:42p