I have a user that received his password reminder email. He went to login with the password in the email and he got:

Error: Authentication failed.

I tried the email link and password as well and got the same error.

I tried adding " USE_CRYPT = 0 " to my Defaults.py based on a post I found by Barry W. but that didn't work.

I have moved this mailman installation to a new server (RHEL 5.4), newer mailman (2.1.12), and probably a newer Python (2.4.3).

Any ideas?

Bob

Search Discussions

  • Hicks, Robert CTR at Feb 12, 2010 at 2:36 pm
    I added myself to the same list...went to my page sent a password reminder back to myself. It sent the same password [good]. I then used that password to login and manage my account and it worked [good].

    Could this be a problem with older mailman vs newer mailman and the way it stores passwords?

    Bob
  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 12, 2010 at 3:14 pm

    Hicks, Robert CTR wrote:
    I added myself to the same list...went to my page sent a password reminder back to myself. It sent the same password [good]. I then used that password to login and manage my account and it worked [good].

    Could this be a problem with older mailman vs newer mailman and the way it stores passwords?

    No. User passwords are stored in cleartext.

    This is more likely a case of the password having changed since the
    reminder was sent. What happens if the users requests another reminder?

    Note that "bin/dumpdb lists/LISTNAME/config.pck" will show you the
    lists passwords dictionary and all the users passwords.

  • Terri Oda at Feb 12, 2010 at 4:22 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Hicks, Robert CTR wrote:
    Could this be a problem with older mailman vs newer mailman and the way it stores passwords?
    This is more likely a case of the password having changed since the
    reminder was sent. What happens if the users requests another reminder?
    Well, to be honest, I suspect this is more likely a case of problem
    between chair and keyboard -- most of the time when my users have
    complained about this sort of thing, it turned out they were mis-typing
    their password or accidentally cutting and pasting a space with the
    password or some similar issue.

    Terri
  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 12, 2010 at 2:44 pm

    Hicks, Robert CTR wrote:
    I have a user that received his password reminder email. He went to login with the password in the email and he got:

    Error: Authentication failed.

    I tried the email link and password as well and got the same error.

    I tried adding " USE_CRYPT = 0 " to my Defaults.py based on a post I found by Barry W. but that didn't work.

    Adding things to mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py that aren't in Defaults.py to
    begin with can have no effect, since if they weren't there, nothing
    references them. Also, don't change Defaults.py; see
    <http://wiki.list.org/x/fIA9>.

    FYI, USE_CRYPT was a Mailman 2.0 setting and in any case applied only
    to site, list admin and moderator passwords, not user passwords.

    I have moved this mailman installation to a new server (RHEL 5.4), newer mailman (2.1.12), and probably a newer Python (2.4.3).

    Since you moved the installation, check the Received: headers in the
    password reminder email and see where it came from. Also, check the
    DNS entries for the host in the options link to see where it goes to.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 12, '10 at 1:53p
activeFeb 12, '10 at 4:22p