I have a mailing list that is set to "Require approval" for
membership. So if people aren't "Members" they cannot
post.

If I select ..

"Hide the sender of a message, replacing it with the list address
(Removes From, Sender and Reply-To fields) "

(1) ...will all the members still be able to post as before ? Or will
it effectively make everyone "anonymous" and as I don't have
a member called "anonymous" reject all posts ?

(2) If I set the above and "Fred Smith" posted then would the name
"Fred Smith" appear anywhere in the email that other list members
receive from him ?

Can anyone here give me help on either/both questions please ?
Ideally I would want list members to know who is posting but not
their private email address.

I am using a cPanel setup.

Regards, John.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 10, 2010 at 3:23 pm

    John Fitzsimons wrote:
    I have a mailing list that is set to "Require approval" for
    membership. So if people aren't "Members" they cannot
    post.

    If I select ..

    "Hide the sender of a message, replacing it with the list address
    (Removes From, Sender and Reply-To fields) "

    (1) ...will all the members still be able to post as before ? Or will
    it effectively make everyone "anonymous" and as I don't have
    a member called "anonymous" reject all posts ?

    Yes, all members will be able to post as before. This only affects
    outgoing mail and archives.

    (2) If I set the above and "Fred Smith" posted then would the name
    "Fred Smith" appear anywhere in the email that other list members
    receive from him ?

    Not unless he put his name in the body of the email. That's the whole
    point.

    Can anyone here give me help on either/both questions please ?
    Ideally I would want list members to know who is posting but not
    their private email address.

    Mailman can remove this information from the message headers, but it
    doesn't alter the body. The headers of the delivered posts will not
    identify the sender in any way. To accomplish your ideal, you would
    have to set the list anonymous and everyone who posted would have to
    include their name, but not their email address in the message body,
    but Mailman can't enforce this.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 10, '10 at 6:16a
activeFeb 10, '10 at 3:23p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

John Fitzsimons: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post