I am trying to back up some mailman archives on a cPanel hosted website.

I know your stance on cPanel, and quite understand it, but
unfortunately I have to work in those constraints.

I have got my provider to move all the archive files to an ftp area
where I am trying to clear the message files. Archiving has now stopped
working correctly - I think probably due to all the files being moved.

What needs to be in the archive directory for things to work properly?

I would like to provide the admin a script to enable this sort of thing
to be done, but am a little lost as to the exact structure of the
achive directory. Can I ask for help please?

Regards
David

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 13, 2010 at 1:02 am

    David Anderson wrote:
    What needs to be in the archive directory for things to work properly?

    An 'empty' list archive for a list named 'junk' looks like the following

    [mark at sbh16 ~]$ ls -ld mmv/archives/private/junk*
    drwxrwsr-x 2 mark mailman 4096 Jan 12 16:48 mmv/archives/private/junk
    drwxrwsr-x 2 mark mailman 4096 Jan 12 16:48
    mmv/archives/private/junk.mbox
    [mark at sbh16 ~]$ ls -lAR mmv/archives/private/junk*
    mmv/archives/private/junk:
    total 4
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 mark mailman 484 Jan 12 16:48 index.html

    mmv/archives/private/junk.mbox:
    total 0
    [mark at sbh16 ~]$

    i.e. two directories - archives/private/junk and
    archives/private/junk.mbox - both in mailman's group (owner not
    important) with permissions drwxrwsr-x and an index.html file
    archives/private/junk/index.html in mailman's group with permissions
    -rw-rw-r-- (contents not important, but normally a "no posts yet"
    message).

    I would like to provide the admin a script to enable this sort of thing
    to be done, but am a little lost as to the exact structure of the
    achive directory. Can I ask for help please?

    Once posts are archived, there is an
    archives/private/junk.mbox/junk.mbox file which is a cumulative *nix
    mbox containing all archived posts and a hierarchy of directories and
    files in archives/private/junk/ containing the pipermail archive.

  • Stephen J. Turnbull at Jan 13, 2010 at 2:47 am