FAQ
Hi all,
I am trying for some days now to setup mailman in debian but i am
running to the following problem:
Although mailman setup seems fine and the mail server (Exim or
Postfix) can send mail to any address, mailman and the mail server
cannot communicate. Every time i try to post a message to a list, or
send a password reminder from mailman etc. the mails never reach their
destination, and usually i get an error after some time.
As i mention above i tried both Exim and Postfix and ran into the same
problem. I have installed mailman from the repositories and as a web
server i use apache 2.
I would appreciate any suggestions on the problem.
Thanks in advance,
George

Search Discussions

  • Adam McGreggor at Dec 30, 2009 at 1:44 pm

    On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 05:18:58PM +0200, George Argyros wrote:
    I am trying for some days now to setup mailman in debian but i am
    running to the following problem:
    Although mailman setup seems fine and the mail server (Exim or
    Postfix) can send mail to any address, mailman and the mail server
    cannot communicate. Every time i try to post a message to a list, or
    send a password reminder from mailman etc. the mails never reach their
    destination, and usually i get an error after some time.
    Having that error would be quite useful:
    http://exim.org/howto/mailman21.html#lisver is quite useful for Exim.

    Certainly for Exim, Exim needs some stanzas for Mailman, have you done
    something along the lines of
    http://exim.org/howto/mailman21.html
    ?



    --
    ``We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other
    languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their
    pockets for new vocabulary.'' (Booker T. Washington)
  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 30, 2009 at 2:06 pm

    Adam McGreggor wrote:
    On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 05:18:58PM +0200, George Argyros wrote:
    I am trying for some days now to setup mailman in debian but i am
    running to the following problem:
    Although mailman setup seems fine and the mail server (Exim or
    Postfix) can send mail to any address, mailman and the mail server
    cannot communicate. Every time i try to post a message to a list, or
    send a password reminder from mailman etc. the mails never reach their
    destination, and usually i get an error after some time.
    Having that error would be quite useful:
    http://exim.org/howto/mailman21.html#lisver is quite useful for Exim.

    Also, what is in Mailman's smtp and smtp-failure logs and Exim's
    exim_main.log?

    Certainly for Exim, Exim needs some stanzas for Mailman, have you done
    something along the lines of
    http://exim.org/howto/mailman21.html
    ?

    While this how-to is important, it is only for delivery to Mailman. It
    doesn't affect delivery of outbound mail from Mailman.

    However, that could be the problem here in that posts are not delivered
    to Mailman. If other messages from Mailman are delivered, e.g.
    subscription confirmation requests or list welcome messages, then the
    problem is likely in delivery to Mailman and that how-to is very
    relevant.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • George Argyros at Dec 30, 2009 at 5:07 pm
    Thank you for your answers.
    I managed to make the outgoing mail of mailman to work with Exim. Now
    password reminders, register confirmations etc are sended normally
    from mailman.
    However the incoming mails still cannot reach any mailing list,
    although this time, the mail seems to be accepted by the Exim.
    Additionally in the Exim mainlog i get the following error entry:
    /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner foofoo <foofoo-owner@**********>
    R=system_aliases defer (-30): pipe_transport unset in system_aliases
    router
    I' ve searched a bit in the internet, and i saw that this is a
    relatively common error, however i didn't find any solutions.

    In order to configure exim to work with mailman i followed the
    instructions in the file /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.Exim4.Debian.

    George

    On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Adam McGreggor wrote:
    On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 05:18:58PM +0200, George Argyros wrote:
    I am trying for some days now to setup mailman in debian but i am
    running to the following problem:
    Although mailman setup seems fine and the mail server (Exim or
    Postfix) can send mail to any address, mailman and the mail server
    cannot communicate. Every time i try to post a message to a list, or
    send a password reminder from mailman etc. the mails never reach their
    destination, and usually i get an error after some time.
    Having that error would be quite useful:
    http://exim.org/howto/mailman21.html#lisver is quite useful for Exim.

    Also, what is in Mailman's smtp and smtp-failure logs and Exim's
    exim_main.log?

    Certainly for Exim, Exim needs some stanzas for Mailman, have you done
    something along the lines of
    ? ?http://exim.org/howto/mailman21.html
    ?

    While this how-to is important, it is only for delivery to Mailman. It
    doesn't affect delivery of outbound mail from Mailman.

    However, that could be the problem here in that posts are not delivered
    to Mailman. If other messages from Mailman are delivered, e.g.
    subscription confirmation requests or list welcome messages, then the
    problem is likely in delivery to Mailman and that how-to is very
    relevant.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> ? ? ? ?The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California ? ?better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 30, 2009 at 7:46 pm

    George Argyros wrote:
    However the incoming mails still cannot reach any mailing list,
    although this time, the mail seems to be accepted by the Exim.
    Additionally in the Exim mainlog i get the following error entry:
    /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner foofoo <foofoo-owner@**********>
    R=system_aliases defer (-30): pipe_transport unset in system_aliases
    router
    I' ve searched a bit in the internet, and i saw that this is a
    relatively common error, however i didn't find any solutions.

    It appears that you are using aliases to deliver from Exim to Mailman.
    While you can do this, it is by far preferable to set up Exim to
    deliver programmatically as described at
    http://exim.org/howto/mailman21.html.

    In order to configure exim to work with mailman i followed the
    instructions in the file /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.Exim4.Debian.

    I am unfamiliar with that document, but if it discusses setting up a
    mailman router and transport as in
    http://exim.org/howto/mailman21.html, then your problem is that your
    system_aliases router precedes your mailman router and you have
    mailman aliases installed. If you are deliverian with a mailman
    router, you should not have any mailman aliases and you should have

    MTA = None

    in mm_cfg.py so Mailman doesn't bug you about aliases when you create
    lists.

    If you intend to deliver to Mailman using aliases, you need to be sure
    your system_aliases: router definition includes "pipe_transport address_pipe" and an appropriate group= for mailman.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 29, '09 at 3:18p
activeDec 30, '09 at 7:46p
posts5
users3
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase