Hello

Firstly, can I congratulate you for making such a powerful piece of software as Mailman available for free and open source. I also am grateful to you for allowing Apple to implement it into their server solution.

As a new administrator serving the needs of a large group of visually impaired users, I need to take advantage of Mailman to implement our mailing lists.

I'm having a problem, however. And I wondered whether you'd be able to help me.

I need to host lists in a number of virtual domains and I'm a little unclear as to how to proceed beyond the basic configuration as I'm getting errors.

So, to try and explain. My server's fully qualified domain name is mail.tft-bbs.co.uk and I need to host lists, as I said, in virtual domains.

So, I modified the paths, correctly I think, to point to the virtual alias and Mailman files so that Mailman and Postfix would interact.

First, I used the following commands in Apple's Terminal to view the Postfix virtual maps file:

sudo /usr/sbin/postconf virtual_alias_maps

Then, I did the following to add the path to the virtual Mailman file:

sudo /usr/sbin/postconf -e virtual_alias_maps='hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_users, hash:/var/mailman/data/virtual-mailman'

Then, I manually edited:

/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py

Python script to add the virtual domains in the Postfix_style variable, as follows:

MTA = 'Postfix'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = '<mail.tft-bbs.co.uk>'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = '<mail.tft-bbs.co.uk>'
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ 'cecimac.org', 'dane-trethowan.net', 'gordon-smith.me.uk', 'small-world-radio.net', 'softcon.com', 'tft-bbs.com', 'tft-bbs.org', 'tft-bbs.org.uk', 'tft-bbs.net', ]

Can you tell me whether I have that syntax correct? I apologise for what are probably irritating, basic configuration questions. However, being totally blind and having to work by memorising parts of the documentation at a time and then putting them into the correct configuration files, I think it's highly likely that I've overlooked or misunderstood something.

When I use the command:

sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/newlist -e 'tft-bbs.com' mac-access

I am prompted for the administrator's E-Mail address and initial list password.

Once those are entered, I'm getting an illegal list name error, which looks like:

Illegal list name mac-access at mail

I'm puzzled as to what I've done wrong, but it's probably obvious to more experienced administrators.

If you would point me to my error, or suggest possible causes I would be extremely grateful.

I fully intend to contribute to this most worth while project with a financial donation as soon as I can when we're up and running. This kind of work deserves our support, since it's at the heart of what we use on the Internet every single day.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Gordon Smith

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 15, 2009 at 3:31 am
    First, a big CAVEAT. You are apparently dealing with Apple's Mac OS X
    server port of Mailman. There are unknown differences between that and
    the Mailman with which most of us on this list are familiar.

    Gordon Smith wrote:
[...]

    These should have no angle brackets. I.e.

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.tft-bbs.co.uk'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mail.tft-bbs.co.uk'

    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ 'cecimac.org', 'dane-trethowan.net', 'gordon-smith.me.uk', 'small-world-radio.net', 'softcon.com', 'tft-bbs.com', 'tft-bbs.org', 'tft-bbs.org.uk', 'tft-bbs.net', ]

    This is correct.

    Can you tell me whether I have that syntax correct? I apologise for what are probably irritating, basic configuration questions. However, being totally blind and having to work by memorising parts of the documentation at a time and then putting them into the correct configuration files, I think it's highly likely that I've overlooked or misunderstood something.

    When I use the command:

    sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/newlist -e 'tft-bbs.com' mac-access

    I am prompted for the administrator's E-Mail address and initial list password.

    Once those are entered, I'm getting an illegal list name error, which looks like:

    Illegal list name mac-access at mail

    This might be because of the '<' and '>' in the definitions of
    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST, but normally those shouldn't
    matter with the "-e 'tft-bbs.com'" option to newlist, so I'm not sure
    what the problem is.

    Are there other things in mm_cfg.py besides what you've shown as added
    above?

    Also, There are other problems having to do with web access to Mailman
    for the virtual hosts.

    If what you want is for the host in all web URLs to be
    mail.tft-bbs.co.uk regardless of the email domain, then what you have
    is OK, but in the normal case where each virtual domain has its own
    web and email domain, in addition, for each of your virtual domains
    you need a line as for this example domain

    add_virtualhost('tft-bbs.com', 'tft-bbs.com')

    Note that the first 'tft-bbs.com' is the host-name for web URLs and the
    second 'tft-bbs.com' is the email domain. If these are the same, then
    the add_virtualhost is correct, but if the web host is different, say
    'www.tft-bbs.com', then that should be the first argument in the
    add_virtualhost.

    Also, if you don't specify a -u option to bin/newlist, the host name in
    web URLs for this list will be the DEFAULT_URL_HOST host. If you do
    have a correct add_virtualhost('tft-bbs.com', 'tft-bbs.com') in
    mm_cfg.py, then it is sufficient for newlist to specify

    sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/newlist -u 'tft-bbs.com' mac-access

    as that will set the web host and the email host will be looked up from
    the add_virtualhost mapping.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 14, '09 at 8:32p
activeNov 15, '09 at 3:31a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Gordon Smith: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post