I am having problems with my service provider handling outgoing list email... I
would like to temporarily disable bounce handling for debug so I can see the
complete bounces immediately.

Thanks,
John

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 10, 2009 at 6:59 pm

    John wrote:
    I am having problems with my service provider handling outgoing list email... I
    would like to temporarily disable bounce handling for debug so I can see the
    complete bounces immediately.

    If you have access to the mailman installation, change the list-bounces
    alias to go to you.

    Otherwise, all you can do is make sure that
    bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is Yes so that when a member's delivery
    is disabled by bounce you receive the notice which contains the full
    bounce message. You can also reduce the threshold to cause delivery to
    be disabled and a notice sent on the first bounce, but if you do that
    in Mailman prior to 2.1.10, a bug in cron/disabled will possibly
    disable delivery for users with stale bounce info.

  • John at Nov 11, 2009 at 1:38 am
    Thanks, I think I've got it set correct. My server has multiple domains, plesk
    and qmail... in case anybody with a similar setup is interested, I found the
    alias at /var/qmail/mailnames/<domain>/.qmail-<listname>-bounces

    John

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    John wrote:
    I am having problems with my service provider handling outgoing list email... I
    would like to temporarily disable bounce handling for debug so I can see the
    complete bounces immediately.

    If you have access to the mailman installation, change the list-bounces
    alias to go to you.

    Otherwise, all you can do is make sure that
    bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is Yes so that when a member's delivery
    is disabled by bounce you receive the notice which contains the full
    bounce message. You can also reduce the threshold to cause delivery to
    be disabled and a notice sent on the first bounce, but if you do that
    in Mailman prior to 2.1.10, a bug in cron/disabled will possibly
    disable delivery for users with stale bounce info.
  • John at Nov 12, 2009 at 3:10 am
    Looks like plesk is self healing... :-/ when you shut off and turn on mailman
    it rebuilds the list aliases. Also appears that I am running 2.1.9 and the plesk
    update for mailman doesn't actually update mailman!?

    I guess I need to figure out how to get 2.1.12 running. Currently ...12 update
    dies because it wants the python development package. Will the current python
    break plesk?? 8-0 So remind me again how plesk makes my life easier? :-P

    John

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    John wrote:
    I am having problems with my service provider handling outgoing list email... I
    would like to temporarily disable bounce handling for debug so I can see the
    complete bounces immediately.
    If you have access to the mailman installation, change the list-bounces
    alias to go to you.

    Otherwise, all you can do is make sure that
    bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is Yes so that when a member's delivery
    is disabled by bounce you receive the notice which contains the full
    bounce message. You can also reduce the threshold to cause delivery to
    be disabled and a notice sent on the first bounce, but if you do that
    in Mailman prior to 2.1.10, a bug in cron/disabled will possibly
    disable delivery for users with stale bounce info.
  • Stephen J. Turnbull at Nov 12, 2009 at 5:34 am
    So remind me again how plesk makes my life easier? :-P
    For Mailman usage, it doesn't. It probably has a lot of plusses as an
    overall hosting solution.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 10, '09 at 6:33p