I have mailman version 2.1.9 running on a Centos 5.2 64 bit. (Python 2.4.3/Apache 2.2.3/Sendmail 8.13)
I'm able to subscribe to newly created mailing lists/Get confirmation e-mails from Mailman on subscription.
I'm unable to send e-mails to these lists (which I can confirm by being a member of these lists and not receiving any e-mails when mails are sent to the lists)
The logs are clean. I tried to send an email from the command line interface of the mailman server and I can see the mails being sent. Any suggestions on what to check next would be greatly helpful.

Thanks a lot.

Krishna

Search Discussions

  • Adam McGreggor at Oct 6, 2009 at 2:30 pm

    I have mailman version 2.1.9 running on a Centos 5.2 64 bit. (Python
    2.4.3/Apache 2.2.3/Sendmail 8.13) I'm able to subscribe to newly
    created mailing lists/Get confirmation e-mails from Mailman on
    subscription.
    I'm unable to send e-mails to these lists (which I can
    confirm by being a member of these lists and not receiving any e-mails
    when mails are sent to the lists) The logs are clean.
    Which logs? Mailman's, presumably.

    Empty logs (on a new install) make me think to qrunner not running: is
    it? (check, maybe with ps, start with bin/mailmanctl)

    Is archiving for the lists switched on? Are messages being delivered
    to the archives?
    I tried to send an email from the command line interface of the mailman
    server and I can see the mails being sent.
    How do you see "the mails being sent"?
    Any suggestions on what to check next would be greatly helpful.
    I'd check MTA config, MTA logs, then working out where (if) messages
    destined to Mailman were (not) going.

    --
    ``I speak better English than this villain Bush.''
    (Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf, attrib.)

    Logs - I meant by MTA logs as well as mailman logs (under /usr/local/mailman/logs)
    Yes - bin/mailmanctl is running and test mails/list creations were done after querunner was started.

    Is archiving for the lists switched on? Yes - they are.
    Are messages being delivered to the archives? - No they aren't (It's here I'm stumped) (Nothing under /usr/local/mailman/archives/{public,private} either)

    How do you see the mails being sent? From the command line interface running tail -f /var/log/messages; mail -v <list at domain>

    I just installed another machine and I can see the same problem. It's some setting I may have missed to configure. :(

    KrishnaDas Kossery

[...]

  • Krishnadas Kossery at Oct 13, 2009 at 8:59 am
    Finally we got mailman working.

    The problem was as simple as our server network interface not listening to any network interfaces other than loopback for SMTP requests.

    :(

    Anyways we are up and running. Thanks for the help.

    Regards,
    Lego

[...]

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython