I am running Mailman 2.1.11 from an Ubuntu/Debian package I created
from the SourceForge source.

I have a question about list archives. I have a list that I
converted from Majordomo to Mailman in July, 2007. I was helping
one of the list owners in managing the list, and I went to the list
archives. The web page has all of the combined archives that I copied
from Majordomo; they go back to May, 1996. When I went to the Mailman
file

/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox

that file contains only the last two postings - Jul 2007 and
Feb 2008. When I go to

/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME

I see all of the archive files for each month:

1998-July
1998-July.txt
1998-July.txt.gz

How do I rebuild the

LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox

file? I have the collected mbox file from Majordomo, and I can easily
pre-pend it to the current LISTNAME.mbox file. Is that all I have to
do? Or do I need to run

bin/arch --wipe

Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
Building 240, Room 5.B.8 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 2, 2009 at 5:28 pm

    Barry Finkel wrote:
    I have a question about list archives. I have a list that I
    converted from Majordomo to Mailman in July, 2007. I was helping
    one of the list owners in managing the list, and I went to the list
    archives. The web page has all of the combined archives that I copied
    from Majordomo; they go back to May, 1996. When I went to the Mailman
    file

    /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox

    that file contains only the last two postings - Jul 2007 and
    Feb 2008.

    So, apparently, you initialized the archive with

    bin/arch --wipe LISTNAME /path/to/majordomo_archive_mbox

    but you never added anything to

    /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox

    How do I rebuild the

    LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox

    file? I have the collected mbox file from Majordomo, and I can easily
    pre-pend it to the current LISTNAME.mbox file. Is that all I have to
    do?

    Yes. Or No. The LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox file is maintained as a
    kind of backup and is only actually used if you rebuild the archive
    with bin/arch.

    The safest thing is to prepend the majordomo mbox to
    LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox. Then in the future, you could rebuild the
    entire archive with

    bin/arch --wipe LISTNAME

    The alternative is to not combine the two files and to remember that
    rebuilding the archive is a two step process

    bin/arch --wipe LISTNAME /path/to/majordomo_archive_mbox
    bin/arch LISTNAME

    to initialize the archive from majordomo_archive_mbox and then add the
    posts from the default LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox.

    I recommend the former so you don't need to remember the two step
    process.
    Or do I need to run

    bin/arch --wipe

    Not at this time.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 2, '09 at 4:15p
activeOct 2, '09 at 5:28p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Barry Finkel: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post