I'm trying to test a list to which fairly long HTML-ized (ugh!) posts
will be posted by a customer. For testing, I have only a couple of
addresses (mine) on the subscriber list, but when I post, qrunner takes
like half an hour to push the posts through so I can see what's going
on.

Is there any way a) see what posts are in the qrunner queue and b) force
qrunner to process the queue immediately? Will the "qrunner -r All"
accomplish this?

--
Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services | (The Roadie)

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 11, 2009 at 8:27 pm
    Lindsay Haisley wrote
    I'm trying to test a list to which fairly long HTML-ized (ugh!) posts
    will be posted by a customer. For testing, I have only a couple of
    addresses (mine) on the subscriber list, but when I post, qrunner takes
    like half an hour to push the posts through so I can see what's going
    on.

    Is there any way a) see what posts are in the qrunner queue

    ls -lR qfiles

    *.pck files are queue entries waiting to be processed. *.bak files are
    queue entries currently being processed (at most one per queue per
    qrunner slice).

    and b) force
    qrunner to process the queue immediately? Will the "qrunner -r All"
    accomplish this?

    That's a really bad idea. First, if you are going to do this, you would
    probably want "qrunner -o -r All", but even then, two bad things will
    happen. The new runner will 'recover' and reprocess any .bak files
    resulting in duplications, and race conditions between the new runner
    and the existing runner will cause variopus unpredictable problems,
    e.g. those discussed in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/_4A9>.

    Unless you have set QRUNNER_SLEEP_TIME to something like 15 to 30
    minutes in mm_cfg.py, the existing runners will process their queues
    sleeping for only 1 second when the queue is empty.

    You can determine to some degree where the delay(s) are from Mailman's
    SMTP log. Find the entry for your post. Similar to:

    Sep 11 11:12:02 2009 (12318) <message-id> smtp to listname for n
    recips, completed in t.ttt seconds

    The t.ttt seconds is the time the message actually spent in process in
    OutgoingRunner. The timestamp minus this time is the time that
    OutgoingRunner began processing this entry. That time minus the time
    you sent the post is the sum of the time to queue the post for
    IncomingRunner (very small), the time it spent in qfiles/in,
    processing time in IncomingRunner (usually small, but if you have some
    SpamAssassin or other custom handler in the pipeline, could be long)
    and the time spent in qfiles/out.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 11, '09 at 6:41p
activeSep 11, '09 at 8:27p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Lindsay Haisley: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post