I'm sure this is a standard problem, but I haven't found the answer in
any of the FAQs or by searching the mailing list archives.

A customer asked that we change archives of an existing list from
private to public. That's done, but Mailman still requests a password,
even from a new browser with no cookies installed.

Apache uses the FollowSymLinks option for public lists, and I have
restarted both Apache and Mailman.

Here's the Mailman config for apache:

# mailman stuff
ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias /pipermail/ /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/

<Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/">
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
AddDefaultCharset Off
</Directory>
# end mailman stuff

Thanks in advance for clues on making archives accessible without a
password.

dn

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 12, 2009 at 8:50 pm

    David Newman wrote:
    A customer asked that we change archives of an existing list from
    private to public. That's done, but Mailman still requests a password,
    even from a new browser with no cookies installed.

    Because the user is still going to the
    http://www.example.com/mailman/private/LISTNAME/ URL instead of going
    to http://www.example.com/pipermail/LISTNAME/.

    When you made the archive public, the link to the archive on the list's
    listinfo page changed, but any old saved URLs or bookmarks in people's
    browsers of course didn't, and the 'private' CGI always requires
    authentication whether or not the archive is public.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 11, '09 at 3:16p
activeSep 12, '09 at 8:50p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 1 post David Newman: 1 post