We have two servers that have mailman on them (SuSE 2.6.27, postfix, mailman 2.1.11) and we are combining the two servers into one. Keeping the newest one.

I understand how to get the lists and archives from the server being decommissioned, by tar'ing the mailman/archives & mailman/lists directories and moving them over to the newer server.

My question is how do I get the aliases & aliases.db files on the server I'm migrating all lists to, so it reflects all the lists. Is it as simple as running bin/genaliases or do I have to manually update the aliases file then somehow regen the aliases.db?

The only think I could find in the FAQ was how to move everything from old server to new server not have to combine two different server into one.

John

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 11, 2009 at 2:56 pm

    John Adamski wrote:
    My question is how do I get the aliases & aliases.db files on the server I'm migrating all lists to, so it reflects all the lists. Is it as simple as running bin/genaliases or do I have to manually update the aliases file then somehow regen the aliases.db?

    Once you have moved the lists, bin/genaliases should generate aliases
    for all lists. You may have to first run bin/fix_url after moving the
    lists if the domain name for the lists is changing.

    If this is Postfix with automated alias maintenance, once you get the
    lists properly migrated to the new server, bin/genaliases will do
    everything.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 8, '09 at 7:07p
activeSep 11, '09 at 2:56p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

John Adamski: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post