I run a server with a few hundred lists. When the monthly password
reminders are sent they are sent from mailman-owner and so the
bounces come back to the main mailman-bounces address. Is there a way
to have them come from the list so they are returned to the
individual list owners?

Con Wieland
University of California at Irvine

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 3, 2009 at 7:34 pm

    Con Wieland wrote:
    I run a server with a few hundred lists. When the monthly password
    reminders are sent they are sent from mailman-owner and so the
    bounces come back to the main mailman-bounces address. Is there a way
    to have them come from the list so they are returned to the
    individual list owners?

    Since the reminders may be for multiple list subscriptions, they can't
    come from a single list other than the site list. The alternative
    would be to send an individual reminder for each subscription. I think
    this would be too burdensome for people subscribed to multiple lists.

    Note that bounces of password reminders should be rare unless you never
    deal with them. Normally they will only occur under one of three
    scenarios

    1) the member has set delivery off and forgotten about the list and
    then the member's address died.

    2) the list is dormant.

    3) the list doesn't do bounce processing or doesn't have effective
    settings for bounce processing.

    Under all other circumstances, normal bounce processing will remove the
    member.

    I recognize that dealing with these can be a burden for site admins,
    especially on first upgrading from pre 2.1.11 where these bounces were
    never seen and there can be a lot of them, but once they are dealt
    with, the ongoing occurrence should be minor.

  • LuKreme at Aug 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm