FAQ
Hi All,

I'm kinda new to the administrating mailman lists, and I've recently run
into a problem with our current setup. We have multiple list, all the data
is mounted over nfs, and we're seeing missing emails. For instance, we've
had some users try to subscribe to a list but don't get a confirmation
email, other times we're seeing "held" messages no show up in the qeue for
the administrator to authorize them. This is starting to become a real
problem for our scientific colaboration, and I need to get it fixed soon.

We're running mailman 2.1.9, and sendmail sendmail-8.13.8-2 on a Centos
5.2 system.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks,
Gregory


I've ran check_perms script, and it gave me this output:

Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
This could allow other users on your system to read private
archives.
If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
installation manual on how to fix this.
No problems found

And running check_db -a -v

I noticed most of mailing list are ok, but found a few list that have this
problem.

List: lalsuite-commits
/var/mailman/lists/lalsuite-commits/config.pck: okay
/var/mailman/lists/lalsuite-commits/config.pck.last: okay
[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/var/mailman/lists/lalsuite-commits/config.db'
[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/var/mailman/lists/lalsuite-commits/config.db.last'

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 1, 2009 at 3:17 pm

    Gregory Skelton wrote:
    I'm kinda new to the administrating mailman lists, and I've recently run
    into a problem with our current setup. We have multiple list, all the data
    is mounted over nfs, and we're seeing missing emails. For instance, we've
    had some users try to subscribe to a list but don't get a confirmation
    email, other times we're seeing "held" messages no show up in the qeue for
    the administrator to authorize them. This is starting to become a real
    problem for our scientific colaboration, and I need to get it fixed soon.

    Is this a "new" problem, or just newly discovered? If it is a "new"
    problem, what changed?

    We're running mailman 2.1.9, and sendmail sendmail-8.13.8-2 on a Centos
    5.2 system.

    Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

    It's almost impossible to even guess based on only the above.

    I've ran check_perms script, and it gave me this output:

    Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
    This could allow other users on your system to read private
    archives.
    If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
    installation manual on how to fix this.
    No problems found

    This is completely normal.

    And running check_db -a -v

    I noticed most of mailing list are ok, but found a few list that have this
    problem.

    List: lalsuite-commits
    /var/mailman/lists/lalsuite-commits/config.pck: okay
    /var/mailman/lists/lalsuite-commits/config.pck.last: okay
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
    '/var/mailman/lists/lalsuite-commits/config.db'
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
    '/var/mailman/lists/lalsuite-commits/config.db.last'

    This is normal too. The lists that don't have config.db and
    config.db.last files were created under Mailman 2.1.x. Those that do
    have them were migrated from 2.0.x. In fact it is a good idea to
    remove the config.db and config.db.last files from the lists that have
    them. Otherwise, if the config.pck and config.pck.last files ever get
    corrupted, Mailman could fall back to the config.db or config.db.last
    and then you'd wind up with a years-old configuration and membership
    list.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Gregory Skelton at Aug 2, 2009 at 12:34 am
    Hi Mark and et al,

    I apologize for not explaining myself very well before. The collaboration
    that I work for has had MailMan lists for over 10 years, and we've
    recently run into a problem with our lists. I've read through the install
    directions and have even googled the problem; without any results.

    The problem we're having looks like this. When we have messages held for
    moderator approval, when there "approved" the message disappears and
    doesn't get delivered to the list. The things we've already look at are:
    the mailman cron job, owned my mailman is in place and functioning. The
    options for not allowing html/MIME content is disabled. This problem
    happens all the time, and I can reproduce it consistently.

    I'm wondering if there's anything else we've missed, doesn't anyone have
    an idea?

    Thanks Much,
    Gregory




    On Sat, 1 Aug 2009, Mark Sapiro wrote:

    Gregory Skelton wrote:
    I'm kinda new to the administrating mailman lists, and I've recently run
    into a problem with our current setup. We have multiple list, all the data
    is mounted over nfs, and we're seeing missing emails. For instance, we've
    had some users try to subscribe to a list but don't get a confirmation
    email, other times we're seeing "held" messages no show up in the qeue for
    the administrator to authorize them. This is starting to become a real
    problem for our scientific colaboration, and I need to get it fixed soon.

    Is this a "new" problem, or just newly discovered? If it is a "new"
    problem, what changed?

    We're running mailman 2.1.9, and sendmail sendmail-8.13.8-2 on a Centos
    5.2 system.

    Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

    It's almost impossible to even guess based on only the above.

    I've ran check_perms script, and it gave me this output:

    Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
    This could allow other users on your system to read private
    archives.
    If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
    installation manual on how to fix this.
    No problems found

    This is completely normal.

    And running check_db -a -v

    I noticed most of mailing list are ok, but found a few list that have this
    problem.

    List: lalsuite-commits
    /var/mailman/lists/lalsuite-commits/config.pck: okay
    /var/mailman/lists/lalsuite-commits/config.pck.last: okay
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
    '/var/mailman/lists/lalsuite-commits/config.db'
    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
    '/var/mailman/lists/lalsuite-commits/config.db.last'

    This is normal too. The lists that don't have config.db and
    config.db.last files were created under Mailman 2.1.x. Those that do
    have them were migrated from 2.0.x. In fact it is a good idea to
    remove the config.db and config.db.last files from the lists that have
    them. Otherwise, if the config.pck and config.pck.last files ever get
    corrupted, Mailman could fall back to the config.db or config.db.last
    and then you'd wind up with a years-old configuration and membership
    list.
    --
    Gregory R. Skelton Phone: (414)229-2678 (Office)
    System Administrator: (920) 246-4415 (Cell)
    1900 E. Kenwood Blvd: gskelton at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
    University of Wisconsin : AIM/ICQ gregor159
    Milwaukee, WI 53201 http://www.lsc-group.phys.uwm.edu/~gskelton
    Emergency Email: gregorsk at vzw.blackberry.net
  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 2, 2009 at 1:36 am

    Gregory Skelton wrote:
    The problem we're having looks like this. When we have messages held for
    moderator approval, when there "approved" the message disappears and
    doesn't get delivered to the list. The things we've already look at are:
    the mailman cron job, owned my mailman is in place and functioning. The
    options for not allowing html/MIME content is disabled. This problem
    happens all the time, and I can reproduce it consistently.

    If this is Mailman 2.1.x, cron has nothing to do with mail delivery
    except for periodic digests.

    See the troublshooting FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9> for more
    things to look at.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 31, '09 at 5:40p
activeAug 2, '09 at 1:36a
posts4
users2
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Gregory Skelton: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase