Hello,

I think this is my post to the Mailman Users mailing list. Hi everyone! :)

I supposed this would be a FAQ, but I can't find it in Mailman's web
site. My question is:

"Is there any email command (or other way) that allows you to be
e-mailed a past message (or messages) that was sent to a Mailman
managed mailing list?"

Browsing the Mailman list archives, I could only find a reference from
September 2002 (almost 7 years ago!) from a user (Fernan Aguero)
asking the same thing, but not getting a reply:

[Mailman-Users] add to whishlist?
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2002-September/022243.html

I know that ezmlm has a "-get" command for doing this:

EZMAN-0.32: ezmlm Commands
http://www.ezmlm.org/ezman/ezman5.html
From that page:
-get

Get a message or range of messages from the archive. Without
argument it returns the messages since the latest digest. To retrieve
a range of messages, use list-get.123_234 at host(*). At most 100
messages are returned. Without ezmlm-idx, individual messages can
still be retrieved by sending mail to list-get.123 at host.

By reading the list of Mailman commands available in the following web
page, it seems that Mailman (still) hasn't a command for doing that:

Can I use email commands to interact with the Mailman server?
http://www.washington.edu/computing/mailman/faqs/mailman.email.html

Am I right? Is there some reason for not including this "get" message
functionality in Mailman?

Thanks in advance! :)

Cheers,
Ricardo Dias Marques
lists AT ricmarques DOT net

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 31, 2009 at 4:48 pm

    Ricardo Dias Marques wrote:
    I supposed this would be a FAQ, but I can't find it in Mailman's web
    site. My question is:

    "Is there any email command (or other way) that allows you to be
    e-mailed a past message (or messages) that was sent to a Mailman
    managed mailing list?"

    No. There are no email commands for retrieving archived messages.

    The pipermail web archive has periodic pseudo-mailbox (.txt and/or
    .txt.gz) files and there is normally a global archive mailbox in the
    file archives/private/LIST.mbox/LIST.mbox that may be linked from the
    archive table of contents and can normally be retrieved via a URL like
    <http://www.example.com/mailman/private/LIST.mbox/LIST.mbox>, but
    there is no mechanism to retrieve messages from the archive via email
    commends.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 31, '09 at 4:04p