We have a request from a list administrator asking if he can have the all
the members of the list listed in the footer of the message. This list is
under Mailman 2.1.9.

This isn't a "personalization" listing with just the name of the member
subscribing. He wants all the messages going out to have all the list
members in the footer.

Is there a variable that can handle that? Or must the list maintainer just
add the names by hand? He may be content with just names or email
addresses.

Regards,

Hal Huntley
SRI International

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 22, 2009 at 10:30 pm

    Hal Huntley wrote:
    We have a request from a list administrator asking if he can have the all
    the members of the list listed in the footer of the message. This list is
    under Mailman 2.1.9.

    This isn't a "personalization" listing with just the name of the member
    subscribing. He wants all the messages going out to have all the list
    members in the footer.

    Is there a variable that can handle that? Or must the list maintainer just
    add the names by hand? He may be content with just names or email
    addresses.

    No, there is no variable that can handle that, but one could easily put
    a link to the list's roster page in the footer which I think would be
    much better than putting everyone's address in which raises serious
    privacy concerns should such a message be forwarded off list.

  • Hal Huntley at Jun 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm

    Hal Huntley wrote:
    We have a request from a list administrator asking if he can have the all
    the members of the list listed in the footer of the message. This list is
    under Mailman 2.1.9.

    This isn't a "personalization" listing with just the name of the member
    subscribing. He wants all the messages going out to have all the list
    members in the footer.

    Is there a variable that can handle that? Or must the list maintainer just
    add the names by hand? He may be content with just names or email
    addresses.

    No, there is no variable that can handle that, but one could easily put
    a link to the list's roster page in the footer which I think would be
    much better than putting everyone's address in which raises serious
    privacy concerns should such a message be forwarded off list.

    ===
    Mark,

    Thank you for that information. I gave that URL idea a try and if I
    happened to be logged in as a list administrator for a list, I got a list of
    members. I also tried getting a roster by going to a
    ".../mailman/roster/<listname>" of a list I am a member of but was not
    logged in. I got an "authentication failed." error message. Since one
    needs to be a member of the list to see the members, that makes sense.

    One could set the URL to point to the ".../listinfo/<listname>" page where
    the person could enter their email address and password to get the list
    members, but I think the list admininstrator wants something a bit easier to
    get the names.

    I will share your thoughts with the list administrator about not wanting to
    do that anyway due to privacy concerns. Excellent point.

    Hal
  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 23, 2009 at 12:55 am

    Hal Huntley wrote:
    Thank you for that information. I gave that URL idea a try and if I
    happened to be logged in as a list administrator for a list, I got a list of
    members. I also tried getting a roster by going to a
    ".../mailman/roster/<listname>" of a list I am a member of but was not
    logged in. I got an "authentication failed." error message. Since one
    needs to be a member of the list to see the members, that makes sense.

    Yeah, I always forget about that. I think if you go to a members only
    page without being logged in, you should get a login page and then be
    directed back to the original after login. It works that way for
    private archives (and the admin and admindb interfaces) and the user
    specific options page, but not for the roster. Gets me every time :(

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJun 22, '09 at 9:23p
activeJun 23, '09 at 12:55a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 2 posts Hal Huntley: 2 posts