Malveeka Tewari wrote:
I installed mailman on localhost using the following instructions on
http://systers.org/systers-soc/doku.php/step_by_step_system_installation_-_production

But on starting mailman I get an error:
Site-list is missing: mailman-admin

Can anyone help me here?

Please do not hijack existing threads for new topics. Post an original
message, not a reply.

The instructions you reference above are old. They reference mailman
2.1.10. The current version is 2.1.12. They are also incomplete
because they don't mention creating the site list.

The error message you got says you didn't create the site list, which
is normally named 'mailman', not 'mailman-admin', but in your case you
have declared its name to be mailman-admin by putting

MAILMAN_SITE_LIST = 'mailman-admin'

in mm_cfg.py.

Our installation manual is in the tarball and also at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/index.html>. See section 8.

  • Malveeka Tewari at May 29, 2009 at 9:41 pm
    Sorry for replying in an already running thread.
    Will not happen again.

    I tried creating a newlist using bin/newlist

    It asked me for an email address and password which I enetered but I got an
    error
    Illegal list name: mailman-admin at localhost

[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at May 29, 2009 at 9:50 pm

    Malveeka Tewari wrote:
    I tried creating a newlist using bin/newlist

    It asked me for an email address and password which I enetered but I got an
    error
    Illegal list name: mailman-admin at localhost

    The instructions you are following are no good. DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST and the host names you supply to configure have to be
    fully qualified domain names. 'localhost' won't work.

  • Malveeka Tewari at May 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm
    Thanks a lot!
    Now atleast my mailman is running

    Malveeka
    I tried creating a newlist using bin/newlist

    It asked me for an email address and password which I enetered but I got an
    error
    Illegal list name: mailman-admin at localhost

    The instructions you are following are no good. DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST and the host names you supply to configure have to be
    fully qualified domain names. 'localhost' won't work.

  • Malveeka Tewari at Jun 1, 2009 at 12:54 pm
    Hi

    I trying to run mailman on my own laptop.
    I have been able to install mailman and it's running (i can view the mailman
    start up pages)

    I have specified the DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST to be my laptop's
    ip addresses in mm_cfg.py

    But am not able to send/recieve mails
    I am also not able to create new lists.
    (When trying to create new lists, I get an error: *Unknown virtual host )
    *
    Is there something wrong with my postfix installation or with the mm_cfg.py
    values?

    I tried creating a newlist using bin/newlist

    It asked me for an email address and password which I enetered but I got an
    error
    Illegal list name: mailman-admin at localhost

    The instructions you are following are no good. DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST and the host names you supply to configure have to be
    fully qualified domain names. 'localhost' won't work.

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 1, 2009 at 2:48 pm

    Malveeka Tewari wrote:
    I trying to run mailman on my own laptop.
    I have been able to install mailman and it's running (i can view the mailman
    start up pages)

    I have specified the DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST to be my laptop's
    ip addresses in mm_cfg.py

    But am not able to send/recieve mails
    I am also not able to create new lists.
    (When trying to create new lists, I get an error: *Unknown virtual host )
    *
    Is there something wrong with my postfix installation or with the mm_cfg.py
    values?

    Did you mean DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST?

    Note that these should be defined as domain names, not IP addresses. IP
    addresses may work in some contexts, but if you don't have a domain
    name, you will have problems sending and receiving mail. Note these
    are generic problems with mail, and not specific to Mailman.

    In order to be able to send mail reliably, you need a non-generic
    domain name with a fixed IP address and a rDNS pointing from that IP
    to the domain name. Without these, you will find your mail blocked by
    many services.

    After defining DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST in mm_cfg.py,
    you need

    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

    to remove the Defaults.py values from the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary, and

    to add the new values.

    Can you send mail from your laptop through the local Postfix? E.g.,
    with Postfix's 'sendmail' command.

    Can your laptop receive any mail at all, e.g. for a local user?

  • Malveeka Tewari at Jun 1, 2009 at 6:23 pm
    Hi Mark

    Yes I meant DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.. Sorry about that

    Postfix seems to be working fine..
    I am able to send and recieve mails to the local users

    I do not have a fixed IP address. Is there anywhere I can get a free domain
    name for my laptop fr sometime ( 1 week or so) so that I can test my mailman
    setup on my laptop?

    Since don't have any FQDN for my laptop, If I want to run mailman on my
    laptop what should i give the value of DEFAULT_URL_HOST and
    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST ?

[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 1, 2009 at 7:16 pm

    Malveeka Tewari wrote:
    Yes I meant DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.. Sorry about that

    Postfix seems to be working fine..
    I am able to send and recieve mails to the local users

    I do not have a fixed IP address. Is there anywhere I can get a free domain
    name for my laptop fr sometime ( 1 week or so) so that I can test my mailman
    setup on my laptop?

    You could check out <http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/>. I am
    not recommending either for or against using such a service, just
    pointing it out.

    Since don't have any FQDN for my laptop, If I want to run mailman on my
    laptop what should i give the value of DEFAULT_URL_HOST and
    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST ?

    You can use an IP address for testing purposes if you add it to the
    VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary as I indicated in my prefious reply., but you
    can't actually run a real list in this way.

    Note also that even with a domain name as provided by dyndns or
    equivalent, many ISPs will not accept mail from such a domain.

  • Malveeka Tewari at Jun 3, 2009 at 5:35 pm
    Now I have managed to get mailman working correctly but for one small
    problem.
    Users can subscribe to a list, confrm the subcription, create new lists.

    But they can't post to the list. I think I need to fix my postfix settings.
    I am able to send mails to local users and also to other Internet mail
    accounts but can only receive local mails but not from external mail
    accounts.

    Can you please tell me how to fix this?

    Thanks
    Malveeka
[...]

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 29, '09 at 9:28p
activeJun 3, '09 at 5:35p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Malveeka Tewari: 5 posts Mark Sapiro: 4 posts