Hello,
Is there a feature in Mail Man that would notify the sender of a
message, when it bounces for moderation, to be informed when it is
cleared by the moderator? This person is not a member of the list so
could not tell if it is eventually delivered.

Thanks. Jane.

--
Jane Frizzell Network Services Administrator
Bates College Information and Library Services

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at May 28, 2009 at 3:35 am

    Is there a feature in Mail Man that would notify the sender of a
    message, when it bounces for moderation, to be informed when it is
    cleared by the moderator? This person is not a member of the list so
    could not tell if it is eventually delivered.
    The standard version of Mailman can be configured to inform the sender
    that their message is being held for moderation, but there is no method
    I know of to configure it to notify the sender when the message has been
    released.

    I don't know what kind of source-code level modifications might be
    necessary to make that happen.

  • Adam McGreggor at May 28, 2009 at 12:40 pm

    Is there a feature in Mail Man that would notify the sender of a
    message, when it bounces for moderation, to be informed when it is
    cleared by the moderator? This person is not a member of the list so
    could not tell if it is eventually delivered.
    The standard version of Mailman can be configured to inform the sender
    that their message is being held for moderation, but there is no method
    I know of to configure it to notify the sender when the message has been
    released.
    My view is that if people are posting to the list, they should
    subscribe to the list.

    (yes, I am miserable.)

    Ergo, I'd not see any need for code modification.

    --
    ``Mr. Mandelson said it was an historic day when the politicians
    took charge of their own affairs.'' (sic.) (News report)

    Adam McGreggor wrote:
    Is there a feature in Mail Man that would notify the sender of a
    message, when it bounces for moderation, to be informed when it is
    cleared by the moderator? This person is not a member of the list so
    could not tell if it is eventually delivered.
    The standard version of Mailman can be configured to inform the sender
    that their message is being held for moderation, but there is no method
    I know of to configure it to notify the sender when the message has been
    released.
    My view is that if people are posting to the list, they should
    subscribe to the list.

    It's not often that simple. Sometimes people will cross post or Cc: non
    list members, and then a non-member replies to all including your list.

    What I do on lists I moderate is I never approve non-member posts, but
    sometimes, if a post is relevant, I will forward the message from the
    "held message" notice to the list. I may edit the forwarded message.
    If I think it is important that the sender know her message went to
    the list, I Cc: her on the forward, and depending on circumstances, I
    may add a Reply-To: to the sender.

  • Terri Oda at May 28, 2009 at 7:19 pm

    Adam McGreggor wrote:
    Is there a feature in Mail Man that would notify the sender of a
    message, when it bounces for moderation, to be informed when it is
    cleared by the moderator? This person is not a member of the list so
    could not tell if it is eventually delivered.
    The standard version of Mailman can be configured to inform the sender
    that their message is being held for moderation, but there is no method
    I know of to configure it to notify the sender when the message has been
    released.
    My view is that if people are posting to the list, they should
    subscribe to the list.
    There are cases where posters have no need or desire to subscribe to the
    list. For example, I moderate a job posting list where we screen
    postings for our members. Most people posting jobs aren't seeking them!
    It'd be a bit silly to expect hr/recruiting folk to subscribe.

    In our case, I believe they can just check when their post went through
    because the archives are public, but I'm sure they'd prefer the email
    rather than having to check back a day later!

    Terri
  • Stephen J. Turnbull at May 29, 2009 at 1:25 am
    In our case, I believe they can just check when their post went through
    because the archives are public, but I'm sure they'd prefer the email
    rather than having to check back a day later!
    Well, since we already have a 'metoo' option, it should not be hard to
    flip the logic to 'mineonly'.

    It's not obvious to me that is a good solution, but it should work
    easily into 2.x.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 26, '09 at 9:23p