Mailman 2.1.12 on OpenBSD 4.5

Don't know if this is a coincidence, but ever since rebuilding a Mailman
server that crashed last week and restoring the lists from archives, the
site admin address has received a few dozen bogus subscription requests
to lists on that server.

This is odd, in that I'm site admin and have not sent any such requests.
From the little bit of spot checking I've done, the requests appear to
come mostly from machines in RIPE space in Europe.

Is anyone else seeing this? What measures, if any, can a site admin take
to block bogus subscription requests?

thanks

dn

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 18, 2009 at 10:04 pm

    David Newman wrote:
    Don't know if this is a coincidence, but ever since rebuilding a Mailman
    server that crashed last week and restoring the lists from archives, the
    site admin address has received a few dozen bogus subscription requests
    to lists on that server.

    These can result from spam to the LIST-subscribe and/or LIST-join
    addresses. Check your MTA logs to see if that's where the requests are
    coming from.

    This is odd, in that I'm site admin and have not sent any such requests.
    From the little bit of spot checking I've done, the requests appear to
    come mostly from machines in RIPE space in Europe.

    Is anyone else seeing this? What measures, if any, can a site admin take
    to block bogus subscription requests?

    Short of disabling the -subscribe and -join addresses, you can't stop
    the requests, but you can use subscribe_policy to mitigate the impact.
    If it is spam, requests won't be confirmed.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 18, '09 at 9:27p
activeMay 18, '09 at 10:04p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 1 post David Newman: 1 post