Hallo!

This may be more of a 'feature request' than a problem.... (smile)

A few times each month I get an e-mail from someone requesting something
as simple as 'please unsubscribe me' sent to 'mailman-owner' rather than
to the owner of the list to which they are subscribed. It's fairly obvious
that they are finding the 'monthly reminder' e-mail and just hitting
'reply' in their mail client.

I understand how/why one mailing covers all possible lists/subscriptions,
but I have to wonder if there could be a way to have a notice mailed for
each list, with the appropriate list owner as return address? Or perhaps,
on that single mailing for all lists, have some sort of generic
non-deliverable sender/reply address, so that people can't just
hit the reply button?

- Charles

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 7, 2009 at 11:28 pm

    Charles Gregory wrote:
    A few times each month I get an e-mail from someone requesting something
    as simple as 'please unsubscribe me' sent to 'mailman-owner' rather than
    to the owner of the list to which they are subscribed. It's fairly obvious
    that they are finding the 'monthly reminder' e-mail and just hitting
    'reply' in their mail client.

    And they clearly aren't actually reading that mail since it tells them
    to follow the included 'options' link to unsubscribe.

    I understand how/why one mailing covers all possible lists/subscriptions,
    but I have to wonder if there could be a way to have a notice mailed for
    each list, with the appropriate list owner as return address?

    I for one would not like to receive 11 separate reminders for my 11
    python.org list subscriptions.

    Or perhaps,
    on that single mailing for all lists, have some sort of generic
    non-deliverable sender/reply address, so that people can't just
    hit the reply button?

    And what do you suggest that address should be? And given that the user
    doesn't actually read the reminder, how do we explain to the user to
    ignore the bounce that occurs when (s)he replies?

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 7, '09 at 6:51p
activeMay 7, '09 at 11:28p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Charles Gregory: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post