Mailman version 2.1.11 on a hosted service ...

As far as I can tell by experimentation, the email admin commands
(such as "who" to get a membership list) work only when they are in
the subject line of the request. The command is not recognized
in the body of the message, even if it is the only content in the
body of the message and even if there is no subject line in the message.

Is this the intended behavior?

I'm setting up a cron job to "backup" my mailing list membership rosters,
because I do not have access to the Mailman commandline tools on the
hosting server. I'd prefer not to put the owner/moderator password
in the "Subject:" line, if possible.

Granted, putting the password in the message body is not terribly secure.
But subject lines get logged by transit MTAs, at least some of the time;
message bodies rarely get logged.

(As an aside: the "emailed command in message body" works with MajorDomo.)

Thanks,

Beau

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 4, 2009 at 8:11 pm

    Beau James wrote:
    Mailman version 2.1.11 on a hosted service ...

    As far as I can tell by experimentation, the email admin commands
    (such as "who" to get a membership list) work only when they are in
    the subject line of the request. The command is not recognized
    in the body of the message, even if it is the only content in the
    body of the message and even if there is no subject line in the message.

    Is this the intended behavior?

    No. Commands should be recognized in the message body provided that
    they are in a text/plain message part and they are not preceded by a
    non-blank, non-command.

    If you are not seeing the commands at all in the processed or ignored
    sections of the report, you are probably sending them in an HTML only
    message or your hosting provider has disabled commands in the body
    somehow.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 4, '09 at 7:56p