My questions are... Why is it being held if the list does not exist? Can I alter the behavior of Mailman to discard the message instead?

Thanks,
Jeff

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 24, 2009 at 2:32 pm

    Jeff Bernier wrote:
    Sorry... I just wish to clarify... the message gets put in the moderator request queue in my "Mailman" list.

    So your MTA or other Mailman delivery process is delivering mail to
    NONEXISTENTLIST at example.com as if it were addressed to
    mailman at example.com.

    You have to examine this process to see why.

  • Jeff Bernier at Apr 24, 2009 at 2:34 pm
    I have tested this by just making up names on-the-fly like nolist, or xyzlist, and get this result every time.
    Donna Dierker <donna at brainvis.wustl.edu> 4/24/2009 10:29 AM >>>
    To get a message like that, the list must exist one *some* system --
    perhaps not the one you think.

    I would go to the mail server (e.g., if the list is mylist at myserver.edu,
    then ssh onto myserver.edu) and check the contents of /etc/aliases. See
    who mylist at myserver.edu is aliased to.
    Sorry... I just wish to clarify... the message gets put in the moderator request queue in my "Mailman" list.

    Hello all,

    If someone posts a message to a list that does not exist in my Mailman system, the message goes to the pending moderator requests queue, and the sender gets a notice indicating their message is being held for moderator approval with the reason: "Message has implicit destination"

    My questions are... Why is it being held if the list does not exist? Can I alter the behavior of Mailman to discard the message instead?

    Thanks,
    Jeff

  • Larry Stone at Apr 24, 2009 at 3:04 pm