Okay, after an old Gentoo server died that was running mailman happily for
years with sendmail, I rebuilt things on Ubuntu using a stock postfix with a
custom-compiled mailman. The web interface all looks fine - the lists and
their users are there - and the aliases are in place. But mail coming in
disappears without an error message to tell me why. For instance:

Mar 31 10:37:13 green postfix/local[28766]: 4E92B17FBEA: to=<xyz-announce at mm.xyz.org>, relay=local, delay=0.45,
delays=0.02/0.02/0/0.4, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /web/mailman/mail/mailman post xyz-announce)

Nothing happens further. No error message shows in any system log.

Now, obviously I've set up something wrong. But how do I get some useful
debugging messages so I can get properly clued here?

Thanks,
Whit

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 1, 2009 at 2:54 pm

    Whit Blauvelt wrote:
    Okay, after an old Gentoo server died that was running mailman happily for
    years with sendmail, I rebuilt things on Ubuntu using a stock postfix with a
    custom-compiled mailman. The web interface all looks fine - the lists and
    their users are there - and the aliases are in place. But mail coming in
    disappears without an error message to tell me why. For instance:

    Mar 31 10:37:13 green postfix/local[28766]: 4E92B17FBEA: to=<xyz-announce at mm.xyz.org>, relay=local, delay=0.45,
    delays=0.02/0.02/0/0.4, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /web/mailman/mail/mailman post xyz-announce)

    Nothing happens further. No error message shows in any system log.

    Now, obviously I've set up something wrong. But how do I get some useful
    debugging messages so I can get properly clued here?

    Have you started Mailman (bin/mailmanctl start)?

    The above log entry says the mail was successfully delivered to the
    mail wrapper, and in the absence of an error reported back to postfix,
    was placed in Mailman's qfiles/in queue. Is it still there? Is there
    anything in Mailman's error or other logs?

    See <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>.

  • Whit Blauvelt at Apr 2, 2009 at 2:11 pm