Hey Mailman Users,

I have a strange issue affecting a client's mailing list. It seems the
mailman server is repeatedly removing an e-mail address due to excessive
bounces. I see this in the subscribe log file:

Mar 22 20:38:04 2009 (26386) listname_list.domain.com: deleted
email at verizon.net; disabled address
Mar 22 20:38:04 2009 (26386) listname_list.domain.com: email at verizon.net
auto-unsubscribed [reason: BYBOUNCE]
Mar 22 20:53:06 2009 (24019) listname_list.domain.com: deleted
email at verizon.net; disabled address
Mar 22 20:53:06 2009 (24019) listname_list.domain.com: email at verizon.net
auto-unsubscribed [reason: BYBOUNCE]
Mar 22 21:08:08 2009 (29528) listname_list.domain.com: deleted
email at verizon.net; disabled address
Mar 22 21:08:08 2009 (29528) listname_list.domain.com: email at verizon.net
auto-unsubscribed [reason: BYBOUNCE]
Mar 22 21:23:10 2009 (1713) listname_list.domain.com: deleted
email at verizon.net; disabled address
Mar 22 21:23:10 2009 (1713) listname_list.domain.com: email at verizon.net
auto-unsubscribed [reason: BYBOUNCE]
Mar 22 21:38:11 2009 (5212) listname_list.domain.com: deleted
email at verizon.net; disabled address
Mar 22 21:38:11 2009 (5212) listname_list.domain.com: email at verizon.net
auto-unsubscribed [reason: BYBOUNCE]
Mar 22 21:53:13 2009 (7199) listname_list.domain.com: deleted
email at verizon.net; disabled address
Mar 22 21:53:13 2009 (7199) listname_list.domain.com: email at verizon.net
auto-unsubscribed [reason: BYBOUNCE]
Mar 22 22:08:14 2009 (10748) listname_list.domain.com: deleted
email at verizon.net; disabled address

These entries actually go on for about 3 days, and seem to occur in the late
evening/ early morning hours. Since the administrator of the list is
notified when a member is removed due to bounces, he keeps receiving
repeated notices regarding the same e-mail address.

This issue does effect different e-mail address but the same list and it is
very random. I have not received any reports from my other clients, just
this particular one.

I really could use some assistance in troubleshooting this. Thanks!

Regards,
Brian
--------------------------------------
EMWD.com - 'Powered by Techies'
Blog.emwd.com - "Curious comments from a web hosting techie"

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 26, 2009 at 3:02 pm

    Mar 22 20:38:04 2009 (26386) listname_list.domain.com: email at verizon.net
    Mar 22 20:53:06 2009 (24019) listname_list.domain.com: email at verizon.net
    Mar 22 21:08:08 2009 (29528) listname_list.domain.com: email at verizon.net
    Mar 22 21:23:10 2009 (1713) listname_list.domain.com: email at verizon.net
    Mar 22 21:38:11 2009 (5212) listname_list.domain.com: email at verizon.net
    Mar 22 21:53:13 2009 (7199) listname_list.domain.com: email at verizon.net
    auto-unsubscribed [reason: BYBOUNCE]
    Mar 22 22:08:14 2009 (10748) listname_list.domain.com: deleted
    email at verizon.net; disabled address

    These entries actually go on for about 3 days, and seem to occur in the late
    evening/ early morning hours. Since the administrator of the list is
    notified when a member is removed due to bounces, he keeps receiving
    repeated notices regarding the same e-mail address.

    First of all, his bounce proccessing is too strict. He has
    bounce_score_threshold <= 1 and bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings = 0
    so the member is removed on the first bounce.

    There also appears to be some kind of SMTP delivery problem causing
    intermittent bounces. Check your MTA logs and Mailman's smtp-failure
    log to see if you can determine what's happening.

    The puzzle is how does the same address keep getting re-subscribed so
    it can be unsubscribed again.

    One curious thing about the above subscribe log entries: they occur at
    15 minute intervals, which is normal for BounceRunner bounce queue
    processing, but each one has a different PID. Could it be that
    BounceRunner is dying and restarting each time? Check Mailman's error
    and qrunner logs. Maybe what I say about settings above isn't it at
    all. Maybe there are people at the threshold, and some processing
    glitch which prevents the runner from saving the list after the
    unsubscribe.

  • Brian Carpenter at Mar 26, 2009 at 7:00 pm

    all, his bounce proccessing is too strict. He has
    bounce_score_threshold <= 1 and bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings = 0
    so the member is removed on the first bounce.
    Thanks for the reply Mark. I checked the bounce settings and the
    bounce_score_threshold is set to 5 and bounce warnings set to 0.
    There also appears to be some kind of SMTP delivery problem causing
    intermittent bounces. Check your MTA logs and Mailman's smtp-failure
    log to see if you can determine what's happening.
    I checked the log file and the 2 e-mail addresses that this issue occurred
    with are both non-existing e-mail accounts according to the exim_mainlog
    file.
    The puzzle is how does the same address keep getting re-subscribed so
    it can be unsubscribed again.
    See that is the mystery.
    One curious thing about the above subscribe log entries: they occur at
    15 minute intervals, which is normal for BounceRunner bounce queue
    processing, but each one has a different PID. Could it be that
    BounceRunner is dying and restarting each time? Check Mailman's error
    and qrunner logs. Maybe what I say about settings above isn't it at
    all. Maybe there are people at the threshold, and some processing
    glitch which prevents the runner from saving the list after the
    unsubscribe.
    I will look at those and see if I can dig up anything.

    Thanks again.

    Regards,
    Brian
    EMWD.com - 'Powered by Techies'
    Blog.emwd.com - "Curious comments from a web hosting techie"

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 26, '09 at 2:39p
activeMar 26, '09 at 7:00p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Brian Carpenter: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 1 post