Greetings. I have a mailserver running OpenBSD 4.4, Postfix 2.5.3 and
Mailman 2.1.0. The machine hosts multiple virtual domains and Mailman
already hosts several mailing lists in one of these domains.

This evening I tried creating a new list but posts from a subscriber to
the new list bounce with the message "User unknown in virtual mailbox
table."

AFAICT Mailman is set up to work with Postfix virtual domains as
described in sections 6.1 and 6.2 of the Mailman docs. Mailman runs fine
for other lists in this domain on this host.

I did notice that the virtual-mailman file was not updated when I
created the list at 18:37:

root at mail:data# pwd
/usr/local/mailman/data
root at mail:data# ls -l
total 164
-rw-r----- 1 root mailman 41 Apr 19 2008 adm.pw
-rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 7596 Mar 21 18:37 aliases
-rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 65536 Mar 21 18:37 aliases.db
-rw-r----- 1 root mailman 41 Apr 19 2008 creator.pw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root mailman 10 Apr 22 2008 last_mailman_version
-rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 6 Feb 19 02:53 master-qrunner.pid
-rw-r--r-- 1 root mailman 14114 Jun 21 2008 sitelist.cfg
-rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 5077 Mar 21 18:33 virtual-mailman
-rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 65536 Mar 21 18:37 virtual-mailman.db

Not that aliases, aliases.db and virtual-mailman.db all got updated when
I created the new list but virtual-mailman did not. I've tried
restarting apache, postfix and Mailman, but no joy.

I've also pasted lines from the end of mm_cfg.py below.

Thanks in advance for clues as to what's missing here.

dn

from mm_cfg.py (with the domain name scrubbed out):

MTA = 'Postfix'
MAILMAN_SITE_LIST = 'mailman'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'https://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'
IMAGE_LOGOS = '/icons/'
POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/local/sbin/postalias'
POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/local/sbin/postmap'
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ 'mydomain.tld' ]
VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes
VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes
VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = Yes
VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes
VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1
OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes
add_virtualhost('mydomain.tld', 'mail.mydomain.tld')

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Mar 22, 2009 at 11:05 pm

    Greetings. I have a mailserver running OpenBSD 4.4, Postfix 2.5.3 and
    Mailman 2.1.0. The machine hosts multiple virtual domains and Mailman
    already hosts several mailing lists in one of these domains.
    When I got my start with Mailman over five years ago, the current
    version was 2.1.5. I hope you mean that you're using 2.1.10 or
    something like that, and not 2.1.0.

    I'm sorry, I wish I could help with the actual problem, but this really
    stuck out for me.

    --
    Brad Knowles
    <brad at shub-internet.org> If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out

    David Newman wrote:
    This evening I tried creating a new list but posts from a subscriber to
    the new list bounce with the message "User unknown in virtual mailbox
    table."

    AFAICT Mailman is set up to work with Postfix virtual domains as
    described in sections 6.1 and 6.2 of the Mailman docs. Mailman runs fine
    for other lists in this domain on this host.

    I did notice that the virtual-mailman file was not updated when I
    created the list at 18:37:

    That probably means that the host whose name is the host_name attribute
    of the new list is not in the mm_cfg.py POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS
    list.

[...]

    I need more information to tell you exactly how to fix this, but let me
    give you an example of how this should be set up with two virtual
    hosts with host1's web host = web.example.com and email host =
    mail.example.com and host2's web host = web.example.net and email host
    = mail.example.net and both mail.example.com and mail.example.net
    being Postfix virtual domains and host1 being the one with the
    majority of lists.

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.example.com'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'web.example.com'
    # above could be the .net domains. It makes now difference other than
    # these are the default domains for bin/newlist and some other things.
    #
    # Clear the Defaults.py VIRTUAL_HOSTS entry
    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
    #
    # Add the defaults
    # and the other(s)
    add_virtualhost('web.example.net', 'mail.example.net')
    #
    # Update virtual-mailman for lists in both domains
    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['mail.example.com', 'mail.example.net']

    The other things you have in mm_cfg.py not specifically mentioned are
    OK as is.

  • David Newman at Mar 23, 2009 at 3:51 am

    This evening I tried creating a new list but posts from a subscriber to
    the new list bounce with the message "User unknown in virtual mailbox
    table."

    AFAICT Mailman is set up to work with Postfix virtual domains as
    described in sections 6.1 and 6.2 of the Mailman docs. Mailman runs fine
    for other lists in this domain on this host.

    I did notice that the virtual-mailman file was not updated when I
    created the list at 18:37:

    That probably means that the host whose name is the host_name attribute
    of the new list is not in the mm_cfg.py POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS
    list.
    Nope, that wasn't it. host_name was set to mydomain.tld, as per the
    mm_cfg.py below.
[...]

    I didn't have these two lines:

    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

    but adding them and restarting apache and mailman, deleting and
    recreating the list didn't resolve the original error.

    You mentioned you'd need more info -- what else do you need?

    Many thanks.

    dn

    ps.
    I hope you mean that you're using 2.1.10 or
    something like that, and not 2.1.0.
    Yes, sorry I meant 2.1.10
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 23, 2009 at 2:44 pm

    David Newman wrote:
    I didn't have these two lines:

    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

    but adding them and restarting apache and mailman, deleting and
    recreating the list didn't resolve the original error.

    That won't help if your representation of what you have is accurate.
    You show

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
    add_virtualhost('mydomain.tld', 'mail.mydomain.tld')

    make that

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

    You now have a VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary with one entry with both key
    and value = 'mydomain.tld'. Then

    add_virtualhost('mydomain.tld', 'mail.mydomain.tld')

    replaces that entry with one with key 'mydomain.tld' and value
    'mail.mydomain.tld'. Every virtual host has to have a unique web host
    because that's the key to look up the corresponding email host.

    Also, if your list has email host 'mail.mydomain.tld', no
    virtual-mailman entries will be created for it because

    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ 'mydomain.tld' ]

    says only create virtual-mailman entries for lists with email host
    'mydomain.tld'.

    You mentioned you'd need more info -- what else do you need?

    I need to know the web and email domains for all the domains that have
    lists - not necessarily the real domain names, but some representation
    of them. I need to know which of these are virtual domains to Postfix.

  • David Newman at Mar 23, 2009 at 6:15 pm

    but adding them and restarting apache and mailman, deleting and
    recreating the list didn't resolve the original error.

    That won't help if your representation of what you have is accurate.
    You show

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
    add_virtualhost('mydomain.tld', 'mail.mydomain.tld')

    make that

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

    You now have a VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary with one entry with both key
    and value = 'mydomain.tld'. Then

    add_virtualhost('mydomain.tld', 'mail.mydomain.tld')

    replaces that entry with one with key 'mydomain.tld' and value
    'mail.mydomain.tld'. Every virtual host has to have a unique web host
    because that's the key to look up the corresponding email host.
    Ahhh, I see. I missed the part where one add_virtualhost directive's
    key/value pair replaces another's. Thanks.
    Also, if your list has email host 'mail.mydomain.tld', no
    virtual-mailman entries will be created for it because

    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ 'mydomain.tld' ]

    says only create virtual-mailman entries for lists with email host
    'mydomain.tld'.
    I've just set everything for simply 'mydomain.tld' (I'm only using one
    virtual domain at the moment, though that will change in the future),
    and all is good now. My mm_cfg.py additions are pasted below.

    Thanks again for your help.

    dn

    MTA = 'Postfix'
    MAILMAN_SITE_LIST = 'mailman'
    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
    add_virtualhost('mydomain.tld', 'mydomain.tld')
    DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
    PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'https://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'
    IMAGE_LOGOS = '/icons/'
    POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/local/sbin/postalias'
    POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/local/sbin/postmap'
    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ 'mydomain.tld', 'mydomain.tld' ]
    VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes
    VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes
    VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = Yes
    VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes
    VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1
    OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes
    You mentioned you'd need more info -- what else do you need?

    I need to know the web and email domains for all the domains that have
    lists - not necessarily the real domain names, but some representation
    of them. I need to know which of these are virtual domains to Postfix.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 22, '09 at 2:02a
activeMar 23, '09 at 6:15p