When I run the check_perms command, I get the following result:

Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
This could allow other users on your system to read private archives.
If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
installation manual on how to fix this.

I correct this, but If I come back and run the command again, say, after restarting the Mailman server, the warning reappears.

In addition to this, as new messages are archived and their associated files and directories are created, I see results like the example below if I again run the check_perms command:

directory permissions must be 02775: /private/var/mailman/archives/private/list-name/attachments/20090319

Running check_perms -f fixes it, but the very next time a message is archived, this permissions error condition occurs again.
I am using a graphical SSH utility called WinSCP to make these changes. Could this be part of my problem?

Mailman 2.1.9 on Mac OS X Server 10.5.6

Any help is appreciated.

-Jeff

Jeff Bernier
eMail Administrator
Office of Information Technology
Rhode Island School of Design
401.454.6168

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 19, 2009 at 5:10 pm

    Jeff Bernier wrote:
    When I run the check_perms command, I get the following result:

    Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
    This could allow other users on your system to read private archives.
    If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
    installation manual on how to fix this.

    I correct this, but If I come back and run the command again, say, after restarting the Mailman server, the warning reappears.

    Do not "correct" this without reading and understanding the warning at
    <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node9.html>.

    In addition to this, as new messages are archived and their associated files and directories are created, I see results like the example below if I again run the check_perms command:

    directory permissions must be 02775: /private/var/mailman/archives/private/list-name/attachments/20090319

    And what are the permissions on the newly created directories before
    you change them?

    Is the /private/var/mailman/archives/private/list-name/attachments/
    directory SETGID?

    Running check_perms -f fixes it, but the very next time a message is archived, this permissions error condition occurs again.
    I am using a graphical SSH utility called WinSCP to make these changes. Could this be part of my problem?

    Could be, but probably not. If you are actually interacting with a
    shell, it shouldn't matter how you got there.

    Mailman 2.1.9 on Mac OS X Server 10.5.6

    Did you install this Mailman from source, or is it Apple's Mailman. If
    it is Apple's, you may need to go there for help.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 19, '09 at 4:51p
activeMar 19, '09 at 5:10p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 1 post Jeff Bernier: 1 post