I'm getting an uncaught bounce notification from a particular user on
one of my mailing lists. In a message in the archives, one respondent
said they could look at the message, but would need the original
email. I'm using mailman 2.1.9 and postfix as the mta. I can't figure
out where I would find the original message. I've looked in the
usual places and neither mailman nor postfix is keeping the original
message around. At least that I have found. So where to look, or
what to turn on so the message is saved for the future so I have a
chance to determine why the message is not being understood by the
mailman bounce processor.

thanks,

ted

--
Ted Frohling (TF30-ARIN) 520.749.1379
www.frohling.org ted-at-frohling-dot-org

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 13, 2009 at 3:31 pm

    Ted Frohling wrote:
    I'm getting an uncaught bounce notification from a particular user on
    one of my mailing lists. In a message in the archives, one respondent
    said they could look at the message, but would need the original
    email. I'm using mailman 2.1.9 and postfix as the mta. I can't figure
    out where I would find the original message.

    The original "uncaught bounce notification" email that you received,
    not the original email that bounced.

  • Barry Finkel at Mar 13, 2009 at 3:33 pm

    Ted Frohling wrote:
    I'm getting an uncaught bounce notification from a particular user on
    said they could look at the message, but would need the original
    email. I'm using mailman 2.1.9 and postfix as the mta. I can't figure
    out where I would find the original message. I've looked in the
    usual places and neither mailman nor postfix is keeping the original
    message around. At least that I have found. So where to look, or
    what to turn on so the message is saved for the future so I have a
    chance to determine why the message is not being understood by the
    mailman bounce processor.
    You would need to look at the archives mbox file on the Mailman machine.
    On my Ubuntu machine the archives are in

    /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox

    That mbox file has the mail messages with all of the RFC 5322 mail
    headers. Viewing the archives via the web interface will not show
    all of the mail headers.
    Barry S. Finkel
    Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
    9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
    Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
    Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 13, '09 at 1:53p
activeMar 13, '09 at 3:33p