Hi Everyone! :)

What's the correct way (if any) to nest Mailman lists?

Is it correct practice to subscribe email addresses from the local
host's alias file to the same host's Mailman lists?

Are there any suggested ways to expand on the Description information
displayed on the http://xxx.yyy.zzz.edu/mailman/listinfo/ page, without
actually sticking all that information into the list's field for that
(since that's what's also used to form the list's 'Sender's Proper Name'
in messages that go out from it?

I tried looking for documemtation for Mailman 2.1 but the references I've
found so far indicate it's still being worked on. I imagine those docs
would be where I'd otherwise go to dig into these questions. Thanks for
everyone's help. Mark Sapiro was an exceptional help to me with my last
question! :)

-John

Home: 413-549-7524 Work: 413-545-4326 Cell: 413-530-5445 Amherst, MA
Email: johnj at external.umass.edu Web: http://www.umass.edu/rso/outingclub

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 7, 2009 at 2:01 am

    John Jackson wrote:
    What's the correct way (if any) to nest Mailman lists?

    Mailman has a concept of an Umbrella List. This is a list whose members
    are other lists. Setting a list to be an Umbrella List actually only
    says that password reminders for the lists members
    (member at example.com) will be sent to member-owner at example.com (or what
    ever suffix you specify as umbrella_member_suffix).

    In many cases, Umbrella lists are not very satisfactory. Search the FAQ
    at <http://wiki.list.org/x/AgA3> for umbrella.

    Is it correct practice to subscribe email addresses from the local
    host's alias file to the same host's Mailman lists?

    It shouldn't be a problem in itself.

    Are there any suggested ways to expand on the Description information
    displayed on the http://xxx.yyy.zzz.edu/mailman/listinfo/ page, without
    actually sticking all that information into the list's field for that
    (since that's what's also used to form the list's 'Sender's Proper Name'
    in messages that go out from it?

    No. But you can add as much as you want to the "About listname" section
    of the list specific listinfo page by putting the information in the
    list's "info" attribute. You can also edit the template for the list
    specific page via the admin GUI, but the overview is built from code,
    not from a template, so it isn't conveniently changed.

    I tried looking for documemtation for Mailman 2.1 but the references I've
    found so far indicate it's still being worked on. I imagine those docs
    would be where I'd otherwise go to dig into these questions.

    That and the FAQ and the archives of this list. And yes, the list
    owner's manual for Mailman 2.1 is still incomplete.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 6, '09 at 9:28p
activeMar 7, '09 at 2:01a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

John Jackson: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post