Hello,

at first: sorry for my bad English, German is my preferred language and
I'm not a
Linux guru.

I'm not sure about my malman installation.
I will show at first some facts:

- LAN: our LAN domain is "intern.company.de"
- the mail server in the LAN: mail.intern.company.de
- on mail.intern.company.de is running open xchange on an UCS (unvention
corporate server, a debian)

- our external domain is: company.com -> an email address is
<name>@company.com
and .. at company.de on the same server.

- the internal open xchange has so three mail domains :
intern.company.de, company.com and company.de
- fetchmail is polling the emails from the external mail server

- mailman is installed on the open xchange server 'mail.intern.company.de'

My first mailing list is (after mailman) 'about-dummy'.
And /etc/postfix/virtual contains:
about-dummy at company.com about-dummy
about-dummy at company.de about-dummy
about-dummy at intern.company.de about-dummy

My first try to receive an email from an external address to this list
is failed, because
I have to add 'about-dummy at localhost' in virtual. After this entry,
the email
was received.
But why .. at localhost? I saw this in the log file, unknown mailbox
about-dummy at localhost.

For mailman I have no Idea about virtual_alias or virtual domains.
Only these two lines
IMAGE_LOGOS = '/icons/'
MTA = 'Postfix'
I have added to mm_cfg.py. Is this ok?

And in postfix?
Here a short cutout from main.cf:
---snip---
myhostname = mail.intern.company.de
mydomain = intern.company.de
myorigin = /etc/mailname
smtp_helo_name = mail.intern.company.de
append_dot_mydomain = no
masquerade_domains = $mydomain
masquerade_exceptions = root
transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport, ldap:ldaptransport
mydestination = $myhostname.$mydomain, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain,
localhost, $transport_maps
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
relay_domains = $mydestination
relayhost = www.company.de
canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual, ldap:ldapgroups,
ldap:ldapdistlist, ldap:ldapvirtual, ldap:ldapsharedfolderlocal
relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
---snap--- and many LDAP entries from the open xchange installation.

Is main.cf ok?
I'm not sure.
How looks the right configuration files?

Many thanks and greeting
Oliver from Germany

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 25, 2009 at 11:28 pm

    Oliver Glueck wrote:
[...]

    These things shouldn't be in /etc/postfix/virtual.

    My first try to receive an email from an external address to this list
    is failed, because
    I have to add 'about-dummy at localhost' in virtual. After this entry,
    the email
    was received.
    But why .. at localhost? I saw this in the log file, unknown mailbox
    about-dummy at localhost.

    This is not a Mailman issue. This is probably fetchmail that is
    delivering the message to about-dummy at localhost.

    For mailman I have no Idea about virtual_alias or virtual domains.
    Only these two lines
    IMAGE_LOGOS = '/icons/'
    MTA = 'Postfix'
    I have added to mm_cfg.py. Is this ok?

    With MTA = 'Postfix'. Mailman will maintain both aliases in
    /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases and virtual maps (if necessary?) in
    /usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman, but you have issues that will
    probably preclude this from working.

    If fetchmail is going to deliver to addresses like

    LISTNAME at localhost
    LISTNAME-bounces at localhost
    etc,

    and localhost is in mydestination as it appears to be, you only need
    aliases and not virtual maps.

    Thus both what you have in mm_cfg.py and what you have in main.cf looks
    OK.

    If you have mail being given to Postfix for LISTNAME at company.com, you
    can add

    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['company.com']

    in mm_cfg.py and, assuming the list's email domain is company.com (see
    my reply to your other post), Mailman will generate virtual maps like

    LISTNAME at company.com LISTNAME
    LISTNAME-bounces at company.com LISTNAME-bounces
    etc,

    in /usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman and you need to add
    hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman to virtual_maps in
    main.cf.

    If you actually need multiple domains for the same list in the virtual
    maps, Mailman won't do that automatically.

[...]

  • Oliver Glueck at Feb 26, 2009 at 11:50 am
    Hi Mark,

    thanks.
    I have done all changes, but If I sent an email to a list,
    I get an error message, because 'user unknown':

    Feb 26 12:37:13 mail fetchmail[6236]: Nachricht
    about-dummy at www.company.de:1 von 1 wird gelesen (2783 Bytes)
    (Log-Meldung unvollst?ndig)
    Feb 26 12:37:13 mail fetchmail[6236]: SMTP-Fehler: 550 5.1.1
    <about-dummy at localhost>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
    local recipient table

    Why??

    How can tell the server mail, that about-dummy at localhost exists, without use
    postfix/virtual?

    Oliver

    Mark Sapiro schrieb:
    Oliver Glueck wrote:
[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 26, 2009 at 3:27 pm

    Oliver Glueck wrote:
    thanks.
    I have done all changes, but If I sent an email to a list,
    I get an error message, because 'user unknown':

    Feb 26 12:37:13 mail fetchmail[6236]: Nachricht
    about-dummy at www.company.de:1 von 1 wird gelesen (2783 Bytes)
    (Log-Meldung unvollst?ndig)
    Feb 26 12:37:13 mail fetchmail[6236]: SMTP-Fehler: 550 5.1.1
    <about-dummy at localhost>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
    local recipient table

    Why??

    How can tell the server mail, that about-dummy at localhost exists, without use
    postfix/virtual?

    It looks like fetchmail is trying to deliver to Postfix and Postfix is
    replying

    550 5.1.1 <about-dummy at localhost>: Recipient address rejected: User
    unknown in local recipient table

    This has nothing to do with virtual maps because it is looking locally
    for the address. It says there is no local alias for about-dummy.

    Have you reloaded Postfix since you added
    hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases to alias_maps in main.cf?

    Are the aliases actually in /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases and is
    /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases.db up to date? If not, try running
    Mailman's bin/genaliases.

  • Oliver Glueck at Feb 26, 2009 at 5:01 pm

    Mark Sapiro schrieb:
    Oliver Glueck wrote:
[...]

    Yes. And actually make a reboot!
    Are the aliases actually in /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases and is
    /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases.db up to date? If not, try running
    Mailman's bin/genaliases.
    I've done this!
    How have to look the mailman/data/aliases ?
    I have this entries:
    # STANZA START: mailman
    # CREATED: Thu Feb 26 16:55:35 2009
    mailman: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
    mailman-admin: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
    mailman-bounces: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
    mailman-confirm: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
    mailman-join: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
    mailman-leave: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
    mailman-owner: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
    mailman-request: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
    mailman-subscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
    mailman-unsubscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman"
    # STANZA END: mailman

    # STANZA START: about-dummy
    # CREATED: Thu Feb 26 16:55:35 2009
    about-dummy: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post about-dummy"
    about-dummy-admin: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin
    about-dummy"
    about-dummy-bounces: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
    about-dummy"
    about-dummy-confirm: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm
    about-dummy"
    about-dummy-join: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join about-dummy"
    about-dummy-leave: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave
    about-dummy"
    about-dummy-owner: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner
    about-dummy"
    about-dummy-request: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request
    about-dummy"
    about-dummy-subscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe
    about-dummy"
    about-dummy-unsubscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe
    about-dummy"
    # STANZA END: about-dummy

    :-/ It dosn't work.
    Perhaps, the open xchange configuration makes problems? But open xchange
    is here not
    the mailing list - who has open xchange AND mailman installed?

    Oliver
  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 26, 2009 at 5:17 pm

    Oliver Glueck wrote:
    Mark Sapiro schrieb:
[...]

    What are ownership and permissions of /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
    and /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases.db?

    What are the Postfix log entries corresponding to the

    Feb 26 12:37:13 mail fetchmail[6236]: SMTP-Fehler: 550 5.1.1
    <about-dummy at localhost>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
    local recipient table

    fetchmail entry?

  • Oliver Glueck at Feb 26, 2009 at 5:41 pm

    Mark Sapiro schrieb:

    -rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 1973 2009-02-26 18:05 aliases
    -rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 12288 2009-02-26 18:05 aliases.db
    What are the Postfix log entries corresponding to the

    Feb 26 12:37:13 mail fetchmail[6236]: SMTP-Fehler: 550 5.1.1
    <about-dummy at localhost>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
    local recipient table

    fetchmail entry?
    /var/log/mail.err :
    Feb 26 18:20:01 mail fetchmail[32117]: Nachricht
    about-dummy at company.com@www.company.de:1 von 1 wird gelesen (2126 Bytes)
    (Log-Meldung unvollst?ndig)
    Feb 26 18:20:01 mail fetchmail[32117]: SMTP-Fehler: 550 5.1.1
    <about-dummy at localhost>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
    local recipient table

    /var/log/mail.log :
    Feb 26 18:20:02 mail cyrus/lmtpunix[32530]: accepted connection
    Feb 26 18:20:02 mail cyrus/lmtpunix[32530]: lmtp connection preauth'd as
    postman
    Feb 26 18:20:02 mail cyrus/lmtpunix[32530]:
    verify_user(mail.intern.company.de!user.administrator) failed: Mailbox
    does not exist
    Feb 26 18:20:02 mail postfix/lmtp[32529]: 56B0B97C2A0:
    to=<administrator at mail.intern.company.de>,
    relay=mail.intern.company.de[/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp], delay=0.28,
    delays=0.13/0.01/0.05/0.09, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (host
    mail.intern.company.de[/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp] said: 550-Mailbox
    unknown. Either there is no mailbox associated with this 550-name or
    you do not have authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1 User unknown (in
    reply to RCPT TO command))

    /etc/fetchmailrc:
    set postmaster "Administrator"
    set bouncemail
    set no spambounce
    set properties ""
    set daemon 180
    poll www.company.de with proto POP3
    user "about-dummy at company.com" there with password "secret" is
    "about-dummy" here ;

    Here I tried
    about-dummy / is here about-dummy
    about-dummy / is here about-dummy at testingtech.com
    -> same error.

    *grmpf*
    and now?

    Bye
    Oliver
  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 26, 2009 at 6:00 pm

    Oliver Glueck wrote:
    Mark Sapiro schrieb:
    What are the Postfix log entries corresponding to the

    Feb 26 12:37:13 mail fetchmail[6236]: SMTP-Fehler: 550 5.1.1
    <about-dummy at localhost>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
    local recipient table

    fetchmail entry?
    /var/log/mail.err :
    Feb 26 18:20:01 mail fetchmail[32117]: Nachricht
    about-dummy at company.com@www.company.de:1 von 1 wird gelesen (2126 Bytes)
    (Log-Meldung unvollst?ndig)
    Feb 26 18:20:01 mail fetchmail[32117]: SMTP-Fehler: 550 5.1.1
    <about-dummy at localhost>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
    local recipient table

    Presumably this message results from fetchmail's attempt to deliver the
    mail via SMTP to port 25 on the fetchmail machine, but I see nothing
    in the Postfix log that relates to this delivery. Either you're not
    showing it to me or fetchmail isn't delivering via this path.

    Note that the cyrus and postfix entries below are from an attempt to
    deliver to administrator at mail.intern.company.de, not to
    about-dummy at localhost. Also, fetchmail is reporting the failure at
    18:20:01, so any postfix log entries related to this should be at that
    time or earlier, not at 18:20:02.

    about-dummy / is here about-dummy at testingtech.com
    -> same error.

    *grmpf*
    and now?

    Bye
    Oliver
  • Karl O. Pinc at Feb 26, 2009 at 11:19 pm
    Oliver Glueck's first post has the right config parameter,
    but it still wouldn't hurt to verify what postfix
    think's it's alias maps are:

    # postconf | grep ^alias_maps
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
    hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

    Likewise, in the "verify assumptions" category, it
    would not hurt to see that postmap has the alias
    entry:

    # postmap -q about-dummy hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
    "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post about-dummy"

    Karl <kop at meme.com>
    Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
    -- Robert A. Heinlein
  • Oliver Glueck at Feb 27, 2009 at 8:51 am
    ok, here comes some log files, attached as logs-about-dummy.txt

    The entry with user.administrator mailbox does not exists...I have changed
    in fetchmailrc the set postmaster to 'set postmaster "oxadmin"'

    I think, the problem is open xchange: I don't know, where I have to
    configure the special files. Not really.

    In /etc/postfix/main.cf you can read:
    # Warning: This file is auto-generated and might be overwritten by
    # univention-config-registry.
    # Please edit the files in the following directory instead:
    # Warnung: Diese Datei wurde automatisch generiert und kann durch
    # univention-config-registry ueberschrieben werden.
    # Bitte bearbeiten Sie an Stelle dessen die Dateien in
    # folgendem Verzeichnis:
    #
    # /etc/univention/templates/files/etc/postfix/master.cf.d

    But the name of the folder
    "/etc/univention/templates/files/etc/postfix/master.cf.d"
    is not clear, because I will edit the main.cf, not master..
    The content of /etc/univention/templates/files/etc/postfix/master.cf.d :
    ls -al /etc/univention/templates/files/etc/postfix/master.cf.d
    insgesamt 20
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-02-26 17:05 .
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2009-02-26 12:01 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3263 2008-11-03 14:21 10_services
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1035 2008-11-08 01:51 30_antivir
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1091 2008-11-03 14:21 60_ox

    And /etc/univention/templates/files/etc/postfix/main.cf.d/ :
    ls -al /etc/univention/templates/files/etc/postfix/main.cf.d/
    insgesamt 32
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-02-27 08:53 .
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2009-02-26 12:01 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3167 2008-11-03 14:21 10_general
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 403 2009-02-26 12:10 30_maps
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2939 2008-11-03 14:21 40_ldap
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 200 2008-11-03 14:21 50_ox
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 625 2008-11-03 14:21 60_tls
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 531 2009-02-26 12:12 80_delivery

    In 30_maps I have add the alias_maps....but it doesn't work
    and the same result is, If I add this in etc/postfix/main.cf

    Sorry for the long log file.
    But I need help :-(
    Remember: If I add entries about-dummy at ....in postfix/virtual,
    it works! But I don't have to do it so.

    @Karl:
    postconf..don't show me the mailman aliases, only the default.
    (with configured 30_maps in
    /etc/univention/templates/files/etc/postfix/main.cf.d/
    After I added this lines in postfix/main.cf postconf shows me the
    right entry, but it doesn't work.

    Oliver

    about-dummy / is here about-dummy at testingtech.com
    -> same error.