I've had several occasions where list admins have "lost" the initial
welcome message they received when I created a new list for them. Is
there a way to resend that new list created message?

I've reviewed the docs and searched the archives (and google) and if
it's there I missed it. Thanks!
--
Steve Lindemann __
Network Administrator //\\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 25, 2009 at 12:46 am

    Steve Lindemann wrote:
    I've had several occasions where list admins have "lost" the initial
    welcome message they received when I created a new list for them. Is
    there a way to resend that new list created message?

    Mailman can't resend the list created email with the password. You can
    recreate the mail or even make a script to do it from the newlist.txt
    template, but you can't get the password because it's encrypted.

    The following withlist script will resend the mail with a password of
    "Not Available". The other difference between this and the original
    mail is if there is now more than one owner, only the first owner in
    the list will get the mail.

    If, as I suspect, the real reason for wanting this is to inform the
    owner of the password, this script could be modified to set a new list
    admin password and report that. I'm not including that capability
    below because the implementation depends on the Mailman version.

    """Resend the list created mail for a list without the password.

    Save this as bin/remail.py

    Run via

    bin/withlist -r remail LISTNAME
    """

    from Mailman import Message
    from Mailman import Utils
    from Mailman.i18n import _
    from Mailman.i18n import set_language

    def remail(mlist):
    set_language(mlist.preferred_language)
    siteowner = Utils.get_site_email(mlist.host_name, 'owner')
    listname = mlist._internal_name
    owner = mlist.owner[0]
    text = Utils.maketext(
    'newlist.txt',
    {'listname' : listname,
    'password' : 'Not Available',
    'admin_url' : mlist.GetScriptURL('admin', absolute=1),
    'listinfo_url': mlist.GetScriptURL('listinfo', absolute=1),
    'requestaddr' : mlist.GetRequestEmail(),
    'siteowner' : siteowner,
    }, mlist=mlist)
    msg = Message.UserNotification(
    owner, siteowner,
    _('Your new mailing list: %(listname)s'),
    text, mlist.preferred_language)
    msg.send(mlist)

  • Steve Lindemann at Feb 25, 2009 at 6:29 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Steve Lindemann wrote:
    I've had several occasions where list admins have "lost" the initial
    welcome message they received when I created a new list for them. Is
    there a way to resend that new list created message?
    Mailman can't resend the list created email with the password. You can
    recreate the mail or even make a script to do it from the newlist.txt
    template, but you can't get the password because it's encrypted.
    Thank you Mark! I don't really need the password in the message (nice
    to have, but not needed). I can always deal with that separately if I
    have to. Since most of the lists on my server only have one admin the
    other limitation shouldn't be an issue and I can always change which
    email address is listed first for the admin. This will also be handy
    when the admin role for a list changes hands.
    --
    Steve Lindemann __
    Network Administrator //\\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
    Marmot Library Network, Inc. \\// against HTML/RTF email,
    http://www.marmot.org //\\ vCards & M$ attachments
    +1.970.242.3331 x116
  • Adam McGreggor at Feb 25, 2009 at 3:37 am
    (sending from my sub'd address this time)