I know the mmdsr program is an unsupported application, but I am hoping
somebody here can help me out. I have not been able to find any answers
via Google or the mailing list archives. I have set up all of the
parameters, but the program never finishes running. When I run it from
the command line, it never returns the command line, just continues
running forever. Any help would be appreciated. I am running this on
an OS X 10.3.9 machine. The temp file that it creates gets as far as:

Message held -- Post by non-member (by list):

------------------------------

Message held -- Suspicious header (by list):

------------------------------

Discarded posting (by list):

------------------------------

Bulk/Junk message discarded (by list):

------------------------------

Implicit destination (by list):

------------------------------

Post to moderated newsgroup (by list):

------------------------------

Post to moderated list (by list):

------------------------------

Other Errors:

------------------------------

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Feb 15, 2009 at 7:43 am

    I know the mmdsr program is an unsupported application, but I am hoping
    somebody here can help me out.
    I'm the original author of mmdsr (now that it's been checked into source
    control, Mark has been the last person to make any changes to it), but
    it's a script I just quickly hacked together.

    Nevertheless, I'll try to provide what assistance I can.
    I have not been able to find any answers
    via Google or the mailing list archives. I have set up all of the
    parameters, but the program never finishes running. When I run it from
    the command line, it never returns the command line, just continues
    running forever. Any help would be appreciated. I am running this on
    an OS X 10.3.9 machine. The temp file that it creates gets as far as:
    I never tried to run the script on a MacOS X machine. On the Linux and
    FreeBSD machines where I run it (including the server for python.org,
    where this list is hosted), I don't see these kinds of problems.

    Have you tried adding a "-vx" option on the first line of the script, so
    that you can see each and every line of the code as it is executed?
    Message held -- Post by non-member (by list):

    ------------------------------

    Message held -- Suspicious header (by list):

    ------------------------------

    Discarded posting (by list):

    ------------------------------

    Bulk/Junk message discarded (by list):

    ------------------------------

    Implicit destination (by list):

    ------------------------------

    Post to moderated newsgroup (by list):

    ------------------------------

    Post to moderated list (by list):

    ------------------------------

    Other Errors:

    ------------------------------
    I'm not seeing any output in any of these sections here. Is that the
    way it actually appears on your end, or did you leave some stuff out?

    --
    Brad Knowles
    <brad at shub-internet.org> If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out

    I never tried to run the script on a MacOS X machine. On the Linux and
    FreeBSD machines where I run it (including the server for python.org,
    where this list is hosted), I don't see these kinds of problems.
    I have MMDSR running on Mac OS X but as I recall, I made a lot of changes to
    it to both make it work and have it do what I wanted it to do. There were
    definitely some syntax changes and, I think, some binary file location
    differences to be to be accommodated.

    --
    Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
    http://www.stonejongleux.com/
  • Jeff Grossman at Feb 15, 2009 at 5:06 pm

    Brad Knowles wrote:
    I have not been able to find any answers
    via Google or the mailing list archives. I have set up all of the
    parameters, but the program never finishes running. When I run it from
    the command line, it never returns the command line, just continues
    running forever. Any help would be appreciated. I am running this on
    an OS X 10.3.9 machine. The temp file that it creates gets as far as:
    I never tried to run the script on a MacOS X machine. On the Linux and
    FreeBSD machines where I run it (including the server for python.org,
    where this list is hosted), I don't see these kinds of problems.

    Have you tried adding a "-vx" option on the first line of the script, so
    that you can see each and every line of the code as it is executed?
    No, I never tried the "-vx" option, actually I don't really know where I
    would run that.

    But, I did figure out my problem. I decided to look over the script line
    by line. And, when I came to the line write after the "Other Errors"
    section it was cut with a bunch of line feeds. I removed the line feeds
    and now it works correctly. For some reason pico must be splitting that
    line when it saves it. Here is the line in question:

    $EGREP -vi '(Uncaught runner exception|No such
    list|Traceback|shunting)' $TMPLOG | $SED -e 's/^.* ([0-9]*)
    //' -e 's/unparseable message.*/unparseable message/' -e
    's/preserving file.*/preserving file/' | $SORT | $UNIQ -c |
    $SORT -nr >> $TMP

    It was cutting the variable $TMPLOG with line feeds.

    Thanks for your help. Everything in regards to MMDSR is now working
    correctly.

    Jeff
  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 15, 2009 at 4:51 pm

    Jeff Grossman wrote:
[...]

    This says that the script has gotten to this point and has gotten
    almost to the end of the 'for' loop because the stuff above is for the
    'vette' log which is the last log in $ERR_LOGS.

    echo "******************************" >> $TMP
    echo "Log File Squawks" >> $TMP
    echo "******************************" >> $TMP
    echo "" >> $TMP

    for LOG in $ERR_LOGS
    do

    So it seems to be hung on the

    $EGREP -vi '(Post by non-member|suspicious header|message
    approved|Discarded posting|bulk message discarded|junk message
    discarded|Message has implicit destination|Posting to a moderated
    newsgroup|Post to moderated list|Message discarded, msgid)' $TMPLOG |
    $SED -e 's/^.* ([0-9]*) //' -e 's/, message-id=<[^> ]*>:/:/' | $SORT |
    $UNIQ -c | $SORT -nr >> $TMP

    command which is the next thing after

    echo "" >> $TMP
    echo "Other Errors:" >> $TMP
    echo "------------------------------" >> $TMP

    since if it got past that egrep, that's the end of the for loop, and
    the next thing is

    echo "******************************" >> $TMP
    echo "Queue Directory Contents" >> $TMP
    echo "******************************" >> $TMP
    echo "" >> $TMP

    and you don't see that.

    You could confirm this by putting

    echo "Before EGREP"

    and

    echo "After EGREP"

    around that egrep command and running the script manually. If it is the
    egrep, this will display "Before EGREP" but not "After EGREP". If it
    displays both, then the problem is that for some reasen, the

    for LOG in $ERR_LOGS

    is not terminating.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython