set VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes in mm_cfg.py, and confirmed that the
bounces are coming into Mailman and then being re-sent to me. Example
headers:

Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 05:07:13 -0600 (CST)
From: MAILER-DAEMON@kanga.honeypot.net (Mail Delivery System)
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
To: mailman-bounces+foo=example.com at kanga.honeypot.net

At this point, I really don't know what else to look at. I don't have
so many users that I can't manually unsubscribe them, but I'd *much*
prefer to let Mailman handle it. What debugging or config or other
information can I provide?
--
Kirk Strauser

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 2, 2009 at 4:08 pm

    Kirk Strauser wrote:
    I'm using Mailman 2.1.11 with Postfix 2.5.6 on FreeBSD 7.1. Each
    month (roughly since upgrading from 2.1.10), I've been getting all of
    the monthly password reminder bounce messages in my own inbox. I've
    set VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes in mm_cfg.py, and confirmed that the
    bounces are coming into Mailman and then being re-sent to me.

    Right. That changed in 2.1.11.

    At this point, I really don't know what else to look at. I don't have
    so many users that I can't manually unsubscribe them, but I'd *much*
    prefer to let Mailman handle it. What debugging or config or other
    information can I provide?

    The problem is password reminders are sent from the site list. This is
    the case because the reminder is for all lists in the domain, not for
    a single list.

    In the past, the bounce would return to the site list -bounces address
    where it would be ignored because the bouncing address was not a
    member of the site list.

    There were also other issues relating to bounces of list owner
    notifications sent from the site list.

    Thus, handling of site list bounces changed in 2.1.10 and again in
    2.1.11 and now all site list bounces are just sent to the site list
    owner.

    Regarding password reminders, assuming bounce processing is set
    appropriately for the regular lists, what happens is a list member
    sets delivery off and ultimately forgets about the list. Then the
    member address dies and the monthly password reminder bounces. In the
    past, this bounce was effectively ignored, and the reminders continued
    to be sent and bounce forever.

    Now, at least you see the bounces and the appropriate thing to do is
    manually remove them from the list(s) or turn on their list delivery
    so the list's bounce processing will remove them. Once you do this for
    the initial batch you see after upgrading to 2.1.11+, you will see
    very few going forward.

    For more information, read the blocks of comments in the definitions of
    the __init__() and _dispose() methods in Mailman/Queue/BounceRunner.py.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 1, '09 at 3:59p
activeFeb 2, '09 at 4:08p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 1 post Kirk Strauser: 1 post