I've just set up our first Mailman and when trying to create a new mailing list, other than the initial list, I'm receiving the message: Error: You are not authorized to create new mailing lists
I'm stumped as the only password I've entered so far is the site administrator's password. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 1, 2009 at 3:58 pm

    Tim Ferguson wrote:
    I've just set up our first Mailman and when trying to create a new mailing list, other than the initial list, I'm receiving the message: Error: You are not authorized to create new mailing lists
    I'm stumped as the only password I've entered so far is the site administrator's password. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    There have been reports like this before, but I'm not sure what the
    issue is.

    If the password has leading or trailing whitespace, it won't work
    because leading and trailing whitespace is stripped from the provided
    password before validation.

    If that isn't the issue, the web browser or web server must be munging
    the CGI data somehow.

    As a diagnostic measure, you could find the lines:

    if not ok:
    request_creation(
    doc, cgidata,
    _('You are not authorized to create new mailing lists'))
    return

    in Mailman/Cgi/create.py and change the 4th line so they become
    something like

    if not ok:
    request_creation(
    doc, cgidata,
    _('Bad password ->%(auth)s<-'))
    return

    to see what the create script is seeing for the password (%(auth)s will
    be replaced by the password in the error message).

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJan 31, '09 at 8:30p
activeFeb 1, '09 at 3:58p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Tim Ferguson: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post