I have a sublist of an umbrella list. A message from one of the
subscribers to the sublist is being held for moderation despite being
approved for the umbrella list... any quick fixes?
This is mailman-2.1.10.

Thanks!
Rich

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 27, 2009 at 1:41 am

    Rich Winkel wrote:
    I have a sublist of an umbrella list. A message from one of the
    subscribers to the sublist is being held for moderation despite being
    approved for the umbrella list... any quick fixes?
    This is mailman-2.1.10.

    Being held by which list? I am unable to understand from the above and
    subject what is occurring.

    If you are saying that a sub-list member is in the Umbrella list's
    accept_these_nonmembers, and the post is being held by the Umbrella
    list, what is the reason it is held. If post by nonmember, I don't
    know why this would be.

    If it is being held by another sub-list of which the poster is not a
    member, this is normal. If posts to the sublists from the umbrella are
    to be accepted without being held as non-member posts, the
    UMBRELLA-bounces at ... address should be a member of each sublist with
    delivery and password reminders disabled.

    If this doesn't help, please try to be more specific about exactly what
    is happening.

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 27, 2009 at 2:17 am

    Rich Winkel wrote:
    Sorry, it's being held by the sublist. It's the only sublist of
    which the poster is a member. She's flagged for moderation on the
    sublist, but the umbrella list bounces address is listed in the
    approved sender filter for the sublist. All the other sublists
    distributed the email automatically.

    OK. Now I understand your Subject:, and yes that's the way Mailman
    works. It first determines if the post is from a member, and if so, if
    the member is moderated. It does the *_these_nonmember filters and
    generic_nonmember_action only after determining that the post is not
    from a member.

    Also, in this case, even if the UMBRELLA-bounces address were a member,
    the post would still be held, at least with the Defaults.py setting of
    SENDER_HEADERS, because it would check the From: header first and stop
    when the from was found to be a member.

    The real question is why is this poster moderated on the sub-list? If
    the intent is that her posts to the umbrella be distributed to all
    sub-lists without being held, why hold her post if she posts only to
    one sub-list?

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 27, 2009 at 2:48 am

    Rich Winkel wrote:
    Her umbrella posts are moderated also, I was just hoping that approving
    a post for the umbrella would approve it for all the sublists as well.

    OK. I "get it".

    Here's what you could do. It's not "spoof proof", but it will
    accomplish what you want I think.

    Instead of putting the UMBRELLA-bounces address in
    accept_these_nonmembers of the sub-lists, make that address a member
    with delivery and password reminders off and unmoderated.

    Then put

    SENDER_HEADERS = (None, 'from', 'reply-to', 'sender')

    in mm_cfg.py and restart Mailman. This will check the envelope sender
    before From: when testing for a member post. You could instead put

    SENDER_HEADERS = ('sender', 'from', None, 'reply-to')

    to check Sender: before From:. Since both Sender: and the envelope
    sender (indicated by the None entry) are the UMBRELLA-bounces address
    in posts from the umbrella, they will be accepted by the sub-lists
    with this set up, even if From: is a nonmember or moderated member.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJan 27, '09 at 12:29a
activeJan 27, '09 at 2:48a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 3 posts Rich Winkel: 1 post