1st, forgive me if this has been answered before. I have searched high
and low and can not find an answer to my question.

How can I setup a list so that mail can be accepted ONLY from 1 IP
address? As an example I have a list named abc at 123.com and it is setup
as an announce list only accepting mail from 1 user with an address of bob at 123.com
. How can I set this list up so that even if the mail appears to come
from bob at 123.com the email will post to the list ONLY if bob at 123.com's
email came from bobspc.123.com which has an an IP address of
123.456.789.246

Thanks!

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Dec 31, 2008 at 5:07 pm

    How can I setup a list so that mail can be accepted ONLY from 1 IP
    address? As an example I have a list named abc at 123.com and it is setup
    as an announce list only accepting mail from 1 user with an address of
    bob at 123.com.. How can I set this list up so that even if the mail
    appears to come from bob at 123.com the email will post to the list ONLY if
    bob at 123.com's email came from bobspc.123.com which has an an IP address
    of 123.456.789.246
    That's really something that you need to do in your MTA. By the time
    the message gets to Mailman, we can no longer tell what IP address sent
    what.

    --
    Brad Knowles
    <brad at shub-internet.org> If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out

    1st, forgive me if this has been answered before. I have searched high
    and low and can not find an answer to my question.

    How can I setup a list so that mail can be accepted ONLY from 1 IP
    address? As an example I have a list named abc at 123.com and it is setup
    as an announce list only accepting mail from 1 user with an address of
    bob at 123.com . How can I set this list up so that even if the mail appears
    to come from bob at 123.com the email will post to the list ONLY if
    bob at 123.com's email came from bobspc.123.com which has an an IP address of
    123.456.789.246
    Sounds like the sort of thing to be handled by an MTA rule/ACL.

    (nb: ?3 of http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt)
  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 31, 2008 at 6:00 pm

    Emmett Perdue wrote:
    How can I setup a list so that mail can be accepted ONLY from 1 IP
    address? As an example I have a list named abc at 123.com and it is setup
    as an announce list only accepting mail from 1 user with an address of bob at 123.com
    . How can I set this list up so that even if the mail appears to come
    from bob at 123.com the email will post to the list ONLY if bob at 123.com's
    email came from bobspc.123.com which has an an IP address of
    123.456.789.246

    You could set up header_filter_rules (Privacy options... -> Spam
    filters) for this list as follows:

    rule 1

    regexps
    ^Received:.*bobspc\.123\.com
    ^Received:.*123\.456\.789\.246

    action Accept

    rule 2
    regexp
    .

    Action Discard

    However, An easier and better way to do this is to moderate Bob along
    with everyone else and have Bob post with a header

    where password is the list's admin or moderator password.

  • Grant Taylor at Dec 31, 2008 at 8:48 pm

    You could set up header_filter_rules (Privacy options... -> Spam
    filters) for this list as follows:
    Eh...

    I would think that this would be easy to fool by adding a bogus
    However, An easier and better way to do this is to moderate Bob along
    with everyone else and have Bob post with a header

    where password is the list's admin or moderator password.
    I like this better.

    Grant. . . .
  • Emmett Perdue at Jan 1, 2009 at 8:00 pm
    Thanks everyone, the posting with a header password seemed the easiest
    to do so I went with that. I will read up on trying some things with
    sendmail to see what can be done there.